Chapter 4: More Than She Seems

-{Sebastian's POV}-

We had taken the tea out to the young lord and Viscount Johnson. They had been playing chess for a while now, and every round the young lord would win. Viscount Johnson wasn't getting very frustrated, though, as if he was used to losing. I was observing the game when a voice brought me out of my thoughts,

"Sebastian?" (y/n) asked. I turned my head towards her, she was looking up at me. "What can I do for you?" She turned her head back to the game between the two masters and continued talking. "You are a demon, yes?" When I didn't reply, (y/n) smirked. "I thought so." Thoughts began to stir in my head. "Why does a lady like you, know about filthy creatures like them." (y/n) got a nostalgic look in her eyes. "Let's just say, that I've had an encounter with one." She smiled softly to herself as if remembering something pleasant or maybe distasteful.

Our conversation was interrupted by laughter. Viscount Johnson was laughing about something the young lord must've said. Even the young lord had a smirk on his face. I began to listen in on their conversation. "Of course, I'm sorry she spoke out like that." I could see (y/n)'s face flush. "Along with that, she has done something that sparked my interest." Viscount Johnson stopped laughing but kept a small smirk on his face. "What has my maid done to spark your interest?" He asked. "Your maid refused a job offer from me when I offered a pay double of which she has now." The young lord said, intrigued. "Why would that be?" Viscount Johnson chuckled a bit. "I heard about this from (y/n). If you are interested in buying my maid, I'm sorry but I will have to disappoint you Earl Phantomhive. My maid is not for sale." The young lord had a face of determination, "May I make a deal with you, Viscount Johnson?" The said man nodded, the young lord continued. "I will play a game with anyone of your choosing within the household. If I win, (y/n) will become my maid. If you win, then I will comply with a single wish of yours." Viscount Johnson held onto his chin, thinking.

I could see (y/n) shifting quietly, while she was being bargained over. "Deal." Viscount Johnson confirmed. "(y/n), I leave you to find a suitable game for the two of you." (y/n) bowed, "Right away, sire." She then left inside to find a game.

-{Y/N's POV}-

I was looking around the mansion for a game. When I remembered that two servants that normally knew where a particularly fun game was. "Tyler? Tyson?" I called out, "Where are you?" I was looking around the mansion for the two gardeners. "(y/n)?" I heard Tyler's monotone voice, "What do you need?" Tyson's voice followed. I turned around to find Tyler and Tyson, just standing there as if they had been there the entire time. "Do you know where the Battledore* equipment is?" They nodded simultaneously. "We know." Tyson smirked. "Would you like us to go get it?" Tyler asked. I nodded, "That would be a great help, thank you. I can get the shuttlecock** if you get the racquets." They nodded and left. I went upstairs into the storage closet and pulled out a few shuttlecocks. "Here." I heard the voices of Tyler and Tyson. I turned to them, both holding out a racquet with opposite hands. I smiled and took the racquets from them, "Thank you very much, I will repay you somehow." I bowed and hurried back to the garden.

"Please forgive me for taking so long." I apologized once I had reached the garden. "What game have you chosen?" Earl Phantomhive asked. I smiled at him, "Battledore!" Ciel looked a little shocked. "What an interesting choice." Sebastian said. I nodded, "May I ask you to help me set the net up?" Sebastian nodded. I handed him the net and put the racquets and the shuttlecocks on the grass. Picking up one end of the net, we secured it to 2 trees. I picked up a racquet and gave one to the Earl Phantomhive.

"We'll play best 3 out of 5. You can serve first." I offered. He nodded stiffly. Maybe he doesn't know how to play. I thought to myself. Realizing my mistake, I looked towards him with apologetic eyes. "Ah, forgive me Earl Phantomhive, I forgot to ask if you know how to play." He held the racquet in his hands, "I know how to play. I just haven't played in a very long time." I nodded in understanding, "Alright, shall we start?" The Earl Phantomhive nodded firmly.

"Service." Earl Phantomhive called as he hit the shuttlecock over the net. I lightly sent it back, and when he smashed it down to the grass on my side, I knew he at least knew how to play in a match. And, that I didn't have to go easy on him. I lightly smirked, "Ah! It hit the ground." I picked up the shuttlecock. "Service!" I called as I sent it deep. The Earl's normally stoic face morphed into a shocked one when he had to back up to hit it, as he prepared for an overhand return. When he returned it, I could hear a faint clunking sound, meaning that it had hit the wooden part of the racquet. The hit was shallow and gave me a good opportunity to smash it down on the Earl's side. He became shocked, yet still stayed determined. Though the smash was too hard and was much too far away for him to get. The Earl became frustrated as is showed clearly on his face. "Good try!" I called as he passed the shuttlecock back over the net. The score now 1 serving 1, I called service and sent it back over the net. This time though I sent it shallow. The earl must have been expecting a deep serve, as he was quite far back. He had to run up to the net to hit the shuttlecock, just barely sending it over. Smashing it down onto the grass on his side, I scored another point. The Earl grumpily retrieved the shuttlecock and passed it over the net. I just needed one more point until I won. "Service!" I called, hitting it shallow again. The Earl seemed to have learned his lesson as he was standing in the middle of the court. He smashed it down onto my side, luckily I was able to save it, though. Barely sending it back over, the Earl smashed it again back down on my side, scoring a point. He started to smirk. I passed the shuttlecock back over the net. "Service." He called. Sending it high over the net. I pulled my arm back as I readied myself to smash it over, but out of the corner of my eye, I noticed the Earl backup. So I changed my plan, I lightly tipped it over the net. The Earl noticed what I was doing but by the time he realized, it was too late. The shuttlecock had touched the grass on his side. I have won! I smiled and held out my hand from under the net, "Good game!" I chirped. He sighed, smirking a bit, but nodded. When we shook hands, his hand lingered in mine, as if not wanting to let go. My face slightly flushed at this thought.

"Sebastian, help take down the net." The Earl told Sebastian. Sebastian walked over and started untying one part of the net, as I started to untie the other. Sebastian took part of the net and brought it over to me. As he placed the end of the net in my arms. He leaned closer. "You played well." He complimented into my ear, "Though I can't say I'm happy. I was quite looking forward to working with you." My face became a little red again. "I-I'm sorry you think that." I replied, trying to maintain my composure. Sebastian smirked and we headed back to the masters.

"What would your wish be?" Ciel asked, facing West and I. West closed his eyes and put a hand on his chin, thinking. "Hmmm." He paused, before opening his mouth. "I believe that the person that won should get to choose." West faced me, smiling. I was surprised at his answer, he normally wouldn't show this kind of interaction with me. I looked down at the ground, "I think that something that would be beneficial would be..." I hesitated for a moment, Is it out of my place to say something like this? Would this damage West's reputation? I shook those thoughts off, I think this is the best for West. I just have to word it correctly. "Sire, I think it would be beneficial if you use this wish to form a partnership with the Funtom Company. In fact, I think that it would be beneficial for both companies." I smiled a little. "Ah! What a wonderful idea, you are truly a very smart woman (y/n)!" I bowed, "I cherish your praise. Thank you, sire!" The Earl Phantomhive looked at me and then at West. "Is that your wish?" He asked. "Yes, it is. I would like for the Funtom Company to form a partnership with the Johnson Company." Ciel nodded, "Alright then."

-{3rd Person POV}-

After the game of battledore, the Earl Phantomhive decided that he would like to explore the residence's beautiful garden. The masters dismissed the two servants as they walked around the garden, talking about the newly formed partnership. They started to return back to the front of the residence. Once they got there, Viscount West noticed an idle carriage at the front accompanied by two servants, (y/n) and Sebastian. "Oh, is it time for you to leave?" The Earl looked at his pocket watch before nodding. "Well, it was a pleasure meeting you, Earl Phantomhive." The Earl smirked, "Think nothing of it, we will see each other soon." With Sebastian's help, the Earl climbed into the carriage. Then, Sebastian climbed into the front of the carriage and took ahold of the reins. "By the way, Viscount Johnson," Said man looked at the Earl. "You have an unusually smart maid." (y/n) bowed and Sebastian whipped the horse and the carriage started moving. Taking one last glance at the maid, he thought that he might have seen (y/n)'s eyes flicker a fuchsia pink.

*Battledore is what badminton was called before it was called 'badminton'
**Shuttlecock is pretty much a birdy that you use in badminton or battledore