The War

"Why did the cow cross the road?" Lacey says excitedly.

I groan. She's been telling us stupid jokes ever since we got here. We all know the answer but we are too bored and too tired to tell her.

"Because he wanted to go to the moo-vies!" Riley says and she and Lacey collapse into a laughing fit on the floor.

No one else laughs. Even Aunt Becca isn't trying anymore. Lauren gives a dramatic sigh. Maddie rubs her eyes. Darian yawns deeply. Mom and Dad click away on the laptops and Bentley lies bored on the sofa.

"Okay, why don't I show you guys your rooms?" Aunt Becca says to us, noticing how bored we are.

"Sounds good to me!" Lauren says, jumping up.

***

I take a look at my new room. They've really prepared, the room is fully furnished. I don't know where I'll find room to put all my stuff. I tiptoe carefully around the room, opening cupboards and drawers from a long distance.

"Nice room." I'd said, when Aunt Becca showed me my room.

"Isn't it? Riley and Laced decorated it themselves!" Aunt Becca'd said proudly.

This is why I have to be super careful. Who knows what traps the twins of terror have set in my room. Knives might spring out of the walls, for all I know!

I walk slowly to my bed. I take an Australian guidebook off my table, and fling it onto the bed. Nothing happens. At least I know my bed isn't going to collapse. I consider it safe to lie on my bed. Just then, Mackenzie FaceTimes me.

"Hi!" Mackenzie says cheerfully.

"You're in a good mood." I say. "What happened?"

"It's a secret!" Mackenzie says.

"Can't you tell me?" I ask.

"Nope. No one," she says, "My lips are sealed!"

"Awh! Come on! You know I hate secrets!" I whine.

"Too bad," she says. "Anyway how's Australia?"

"Well, it would be good, if we didn't have to stay with the twins of terror." I say glumly.

"RILEY AND LACEY!" Mackenzie says, "No offence, I hate your cousins so much!"

"None taken."

"Well then, d'you like the city?" Mackenzie asks hopefully.

"Yeah, it's OK." I say.

I get a Skype call on my laptop.

"Sorry, got to go! Talk to you later." I say.

"Yeah. Later." Mackenzie says.

I accept the Skype call.

"Hi!" Nadia says.

"Hi." I say.

"I'm so tired. I spent all of today trying to get Eddie to leave Mackenzie alone."

"Huh?" I say.

"Eddie's been hitting on Kenzie ever since you left. But don't worry I dealt with it easy enough." Nadia says.

"How?" I ask.

"Simple. I just rammed him into a couple of lockers and knocked him out." Nadia says triumphantly. "Too bad it didn't do any permanent damage."

I laugh. "You know, Nadia, violence is never the answer."

***

I go downstairs, get myself a glass of water, then take a seat at the table where Lacey and Riley sit colouring again. I wait till I see the twins deeply immersed in their colouring, then I accidently on purpose nudge my glass a bit, causing it to spill over. The water spill onto Lacey and Riley's colouring books and begin to soak the page. I jump up, grab a cloth and begin scrubbing at the pages, thus making the damage worse.

"This is hopeless." I say, and I dump the two colouring books into the bin.

"Our picture!" Riley screeches.

"Don't worry." I say. "It wasn't even that good."

I smile at them while they give me the death glare.

***

"JOHNNY! DARIAN! MADDIE! LAUREN!" Aunt Becca shouts from downstairs. "BREAKFAST'S READY!"

I climb out of bed and go down the stairs.

"Ah there you are!" Aunt Becca says to me as I enter the kitchen. Maddie, Darian and Lauren are right behind me.

"Your cousins here have made you breakfast!" Aunt Becca says. "Come, come, eat!"

I reluctantly edge towards the table and take a seat. The twins making me breakfast, this must be part of their revenge for me destroying their pointless colouring books.

"It's scrambled eggs!" Riley says.

"I can see that." I mutter and I slowly put some of it into my mouth.

I snort and soon I am coughing uncontrollably.

"What did you do to it?" I say, still coughing.

"What do you mean?" Lacey and Riley ask smiling sweetly.

"Of course they didn't do anything to it," Mom says as she and Dad leave the kitchen.

"Exactly." Aunt Becca says, trailing behind them. "Maybe you're just allergic to it or something?"

"You're not allergic to eggs," Maddie says coming over to me.

She spoons some eggs into her mouth.

"Yeah, John's right." She says, turning to the twins of terror. "This is loaded with salt."

The twins are standing there, with a smug look on their faces.

"This is war." They say with their faces.

"Bring it on."