My Girl

"I still can't believe you're here." I say to Mackenzie, kissing her.

"Me neither." She says.

"Hey there you guys are!" Lauren exclaims. "I've been looking for you for ages! Where were you?"

"Oh we just went to get some pavlova." I say casually.

"Did you take Mackenzie to that restaurant you and Emma went to?" Lauren says.

I glare at her.

"What?!" Lauren huffs at me.

"Who's Emma?" Mackenzie asks me.

"She's just uh this girl..." I say.

"Okay..."

"She's this girl who Jo-" Lauren says.

"She's this girl in my class!" I cut in, giving Lauren the 'you better shut up' look.

Lauren rolls her eyes and leaves.

"Finally we're in peace!" I say triumphantly, getting up and taking Mackenzie's hand. "I don't know why you're friends with her! I can barely stand her."

My phone buzzes with a text.

Hey JO! Queen G in the house! Busy? Well if not... Beach Party. 5pm. Bring friends. See ya! ;)

I smile. Grace.

Sure! I'll go. Later.

Yay! L8r science buddy.

"You up for a party?" I say.

"Well..." Mackenzie says. "I'm really tired. You know, from the trip and everything..."

"It's a beach party." I say.

"Wait, beach?! Okay! I'm in!" Mackenzie says happily. "A beach party in Australia...I'm livin' the dream."

***

The party is lit. Everywhere is full. Everyone is having fun. Surfing. Volleyball. Dancing.

"Hey you!" Grace says nudging me on the shoulder.

"Hey, Queen G," I say.

"Who's this?" Grace says, beckoning over to Mackenzie who has her back turned.

"Oh this is my g-" I start and Mackenzie turns. I pause as I see Grace and Mackenzie squeal and hug.

"Kenzie!" Grace says. "Long time no see!"

"Yeah! It's been so long!" Mackenzie says.

"Wait, you guys know each other??" I ask puzzled.

"Yeah!" Grace says. "Your girlfriend here is one of my oldest friends!"

"She's a Pittsburgh girl like me." Mackenzie says.

Emma comes up to join us.

"Hey!" She says joyfully.

"GRACE!" I hear someone yell.

"Sorry, got to go! We'll catch up later, Kenz. Bye honey! Mwah!" Grace says and saunters off.

"Hi Emma." I say.

Mackenzie's face darkens.

"Hi! Grace never said you were coming!" Emma says.

"Oh hi!" Emma says, acknowledging Mackenzie.

"Mackenzie, this is Emma. Emma, this is Mackenzie, my...friend." I find myself saying.

My friend?! I think, Why did I say that??

Mackenzie looks at me, shocked.
I avoid her gaze.

"Are you new to the area?" Emma asks.

"Uh, no. I'm just visiting actually." Mackenzie mumbles.

"Oh ok." Emma says. "Where from?"

"Pittsburgh." Mackenzie says.

"Cool."

"Excuse me." Mackenzie says and walks away.

"What's up with her?" Emma says.

***

A/N Sorry this update took so long. Been really busy! Don't forget to vote, comment and follow!!!