Tricks

"This is going to be easy." I say to myself, putting on my soccer shoes.

"Okay." Grace says, coming over to me. "Let's make a bet. We'll do one on one. You're goalie. I'm field. Whoever scores the most goals or saves the most balls win.  If I win you have to tell those cousins of yours that you love them and if you win..."

"You have to babysit the twins tomorrow for the whole day." I say smirking.

"Oh." Grace shudders. "I better win then."

Watching Grace do short, lazy warm ups makes me more confident that she can't play soccer and I will easily beat her.

I take my position infront of the net and pull on my goalie gloves.
Grace stands not far away from me.

I position myself ready to catch the ball.

"You ready?" Grace yells.

"Yep. Bring it on." I say.

Grace jogs on the spot and connects her foot with the ball, sending it towards the goal.

I jump to the left, catching the ball in mid-air. I land on my side.

Not bad, Grace. Not bad at all...

"Good one." Grace says. "Let's see whether you can stop the next one"

I pass her the ball. She positions her leg ready to strike.

"Ready?"

"Yep." I say.

From the angle of her foot, I predict she will kick the ball to my right.

She sends the ball, flying towards the goal. It goes right, just as I predicted. I dive to the right but then something extraordinary happens. The ball swerves left at the last minute.

Surprised I turn around and jump to the left, but I can't reach it.

"Woah!" I say impressed. "How'd learn to do that?"

"Let's just say my brothers taught me a thing or two."

Just as Grace is positioning the ball again, I feel short of breath. I take a short timeout, take my inhaler out of my bag and take a few puffs. Feeling better, I return to the goal.

"You OK?" Grace asks me.

"Yeah." I say.

"Okay then!" She says and kicks the ball.

The ball comes left this time but I am guessing that Grace is going to do the same trick again, so I jump right.

I am right. The ball swerves right at the last minute and I firmly catch it. I get up grinning.

Grace is in shock.

"Never do the same trick twice." I say.

"Have fun babysitting the twins tomorrow!"

***

"John! Maddie! We're going out! You need to babysit the twins." Mom tells me.

"Ok." I say.

After the adults have left and Lauren, Darian and Maddie have left, I wait for Grace to show.

About thirty seconds later, she knocks on the door. Nadia lets her in.

"Ok bye." I say edging towards the door.

"Wait what?" Grace says. "Aren't you going to give me instructions??"

"Nope." I say and I walk straight out the door.

Immediately Grace texts me.

JOHNNY! WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO??

I text her back.

you'll figure it out

***

A/N: Sorry for the short chapter. The next chapter is going to be in Grace's P.O.V

Don't forget to vote and follow.

Feel free to comment suggestions on upcoming chapters. I would love to hear them!!

Xx