Chapter 3

I was led outside by the twins. Two guys jogging in the distance could be seen from the front steps where I stood. I realized then that I didn't even know which pack these guys were from and here I was, about to meet the Alpha. I quickly scanned the visible body parts of the twins. Nothing. "So she's finally awake. Took quite the blow to the head there, didn't you" The burlier one said with a slight grin. A brief respectable nod from the twins told me that this guy had to be the Alpha.

I analyzed the guy before me whose dampened muscled top around the neckline displayed a few blood spots. They'd been hunting off in the surrounding woods. The guy's big, strong and powerful built showed off his dominance proudly. Just standing on the same ground as this guy was intimidating enough, but I didn't want to allow him the satisfaction. "Laurel, this is Jason, our Beta" Brett introduced the scowling young man on the Alpha's side. I noticed a medium sized, thick double ringed circle on the Alpha's right shoulder, filled with many intertwining lines of different widths.

Of course! Why didn't it occur to me earlier? I mean we were partying on the Haye's pack territory. "Nice to meet your pack, Damian Haye, but I'd rather be on my way right now" I said coolly and ignored Jason's deepened stares. I had no interest in being on this guy's turf, no matter how good he looked with that enticing wicked grin. Being in his territory last night was more than enough and look where that led to.

"So you know of me" Damian replied sounding slightly amused. "How do you know?" Rhett asked, surprised. "Word goes around" I said and immediately bit my tongue. "You wouldn't have known of such talks unless you were a huntress" Damian tilted his head to the side. I involuntarily gulped but didn't say anything about the journals.

"She certainly don't look the part" Brett said, probably taking in my tiny frame. Damian as well as Jason inched forward. "Tell me from where you've heard my name, Laurel Carter" "Was it from you father? Or are you a huntress yourself?" My heart beat hysterically as Damian's blue eyes bore into mine. "How did you know?" I whispered under the scrutiny of his presence. "She's a Carter?" Jason huffed. Damian held up my hand and looked at the antique bracelet. Shit. "That means Jonathan Carter is your father?" Brett asked in disbelief.

Their expressions should have been expected. Us Carters were the only ones to have survived all these years and besides an old friend of my father's, there were none left. They must have known that I was the only Carter 'huntress' born and the only one alive. "I'll say it again, where did you hear my name?" "Answer him!" Jason yelled and unexpectedly slapped me across the face. "Laurel..." Brett whispered and put a hand on my shoulder. "Jason! Apologize!" Damian yelled. "Sorry" muffled Jason stubbornly after some time. "Let her spend some time here with us, she knows more than she speaks of. Take her to the east wing's guest room" Damian said.

"You should be thankful, it could've been worse" Brett said as he investigated my face.

"I'm fine Brett" I mumbled and fanned his hand away. "It's amazing how the force of that slap left me with such a mark" "When can I go back home?" I asked with a sigh. "I can't say for sure. It all depends on him and what he's looking for" Brett said and took a seat on the bed. "I don't even know what he wants!" I said frustrated and collapsed onto the bed beside him.

"He wants whatever information your father left you" Brett said with a sigh. "Did you ever meet my father?" I asked. "He killed a lot of werewolves Laurel, a lot from our pack too". Brett said, shaking his head. He looked hurt. "I'm sorry, but I'm not like him. I don't even think of becoming a hunter. I just wanted to know more about everything that's going on" I said with a sigh. "He might not see it that way. And besides you did threaten to speak about what happened" He said with a laugh. "Yeah, I probably shouldn't have done that" I laughed. "So...why did you kill that vampire?" I asked after some time. "He's been taunting us for a while so Rhett and I decided to take care of him". "You're probably less vicious than the rest of them" I said smiling.

"Wait till you meet Calum, he's a real player, that one" Brett warned. "Where is this Calum then" I wondered. "And from whose luscious lips did I hear my sexy name?" A very - I must admit - sexy looking Calum entered the room. "Certainly not mine" Brett said. "That would be me" I surrendered.

"Hi I'm Calum, the only handsome one in the house" He said as he kissed my hand. Agreed. "So you're the infamous player. Nice to meet you, I'm the coach" I said with a wink. Brett laughed. "Someone after my own heart" Calum said looking a bit surprised. "He's always like this" Brett said, sighing. "Only when there's a pretty lady around" He gave me a squeaky clean smile. I returned his smile and shook my head. Just then Rhett's head popped up outside the room door. "Laurel? Damian wants to talk to you". "In his room".