Chapter 37

“You’re really not mad?” I asked him with wide eyes.                                                                        “No I’m not. At first I was. This wasn’t the life I had wanted for you, Laurel, but after talking to Rhett and Damian, they made me understand. And I do”                                   I knew this wasn’t easy for him. No hunter would want their only child to live with something their livelihood had once depended on.                                               “It might take me a while longer to get over the fact that you’d be like them someday...”                                                                                                                                                           I frowned. “What are you talking about?” I asked bemused.                                                           “You being a werewolf, of course”.                                                                                                 “I’m not going to turn, and no one will turn me” I assured him.                                                                   

His eyes screwed up. “Do you really think you would be able to be human and still care for this child?”.                                                                                                                                                       “Yes. And Damian will respect my wishes, he won’t turn me” I said adamantly. “Besides, I’m immune” I said.                                                                                               “Immune? I didn’t think such was possible” He said frowning.                                                                                                                                       He sighed. “It’s getting late, I need to get home”                                                                                       “When will you be back?” I asked after he kissed my forehead.                                                 “For the ceremony. In the meantime I’ll be with Benjamin”                                                 “You’re going after Michael?” I asked slightly exasperated.                                 “Benjamin’s a lot older than he looks, he could do with some help”                          “That’s what he has Cameron for” I said bluntly.                                                                                He smiled. “I’m also the best of the hunters the wolves have ever known. Taking care of Michael would mean that you’d be safe, and that is all that I care about”.

“Are you ok?” Damian asked from the doorway.                                                                    “Yeah. I think my father just gave us his blessings” I said with a slight smile. “Oh? That’s great. Although, even if he didn’t, I would’ve still gone on and completed the ceremony” He said.                                                                                                                     “Really? And what makes you think that I would allow it without my dad’s blessings?” I asked with my arms crossed.                                                                          “You already aren’t able to bear being separated from me for a couple of seconds, how will you be able to withstand the ceremony being postponed?”                                 

“I would’ve...found myself another wolf by then” I said.                                                     “Yeah? Like who?” He asked interestedly.                                                                              “Well, since you’re not such a big fan of me and Brett being together...”                                   “You wouldn’t dare” He said, calling my bluff.                                                                           “Why not? He’s just as muscled as you, but a lot less broody and we did grow a lot closer being together for so many weeks”.                                                                                 My smile dropped when I saw the fire in his eyes. I stood up to hug him and ran my hands through his hair.                                                                                                                              He stood stiffly.                                                                                                                       “Shhh...I’m sorry, I know I went overboard” His breathing slowed down.                                         “I was just kidding, I’m not going anywhere” I said and held him tighter.                                                    “I know” He breathed.                                                                                                                              “I just couldn’t control myself” He said and held me back.                                                                   A sudden abdominal pain rose.                                                                                                                 I gasped and broke away from him.                                                                                                          “Laurel, what’s wrong?” He asked.                                                                                                        “I...I think...the baby’s coming”.