Ch. 3

I'm awaken by the deadbolt sliding out of place and bright light filtering into my dim corners. "Get up Wolfhard, you have to eat," guard #1 commands. I stretch and squint at them. "Gee Carl, morning to you too," I smile at him mockingly. "We don't have time for your games." "Ooo we're playing games? Why didn't anyone tell me?" I double over laughing and slap my knee. Trying to remain calm between laughs, I stick my arms out. "Don't make me wait all day! I'm starving." This is literally the only fun I have here, and they try to take it from me. The nerve. The guards each take a wrist and lead me down the long, white, narrow corridor. The only sound being our footprints. I know the way to the dining hall by heart. Go straight, two lefts and a right. Before I know it, we've made it to the giant double doors that lead into the gigantic room full of tables. "You know your number Wolfhard." "That I do Carl," I wink and give him a salute, plodding to my seat promptly. At this 'institution', they think us patients can't handle our selves so they serve us, which I don't mind. I find my table, seven, in a few seconds and sit down, the cold metal sending chills throughout my body. I drum my hands carelessly when I see a flash of red. Great. I hear the slapping of her feet on the ground before I see her face. She skips over happily and plops herself on the opposing bench, resting her freckled face on her hands. "Hi Finnie," she purrs, her wavy hair bouncing. "I'm not in the mood Sadie," she giggles at my tone while biting her lip. "You're so funny Finnie," this girl really gets on my nerves. Her expression suddenly turns menacing and she glares at me. "Don't make me mad Finn, you'll regret it." As quickly as she turned, she returns and flashes me a toothy smile. "Wanna come with me Finn?" For some reason she's infatuated with me, but I have nothing better to do. "Why not," I groan as she grabs my arm and half pulls, half yanks me to a cleaning supply closet, her long ivory dress swishing at her ankles. Once we reach the door, she drags me inside. "You're cute." She laughs, making me regret coming. Why did I agree to this again? Abruptly,  Sadie leans forward and places her lips on mine in a sloppy manner. Millie was really good at kissing...no stop, I can't think about her. Not anymore. You'd expect my heart to flutter, but I feel nothing as Sadie kisses me. "Get off me Sink," I mutter as I push her away from me. Her face crumples in confusion, but she quickly recovers. "Okay! Bye Finnie!" She waves as she saunters out. Man that's girl's nuts. I need to get out of here. Dusting my shirt off, I head back to my table, converse sneakers squeaking on the ground. "Mr. Wolfhard, where have you been?" Miss. Bueno, the lunch lady, questions. "You know, the usual. I went to Paris and came back in ten minutes." She scowls at me. "Your sarcasm isn't appreciated Mr. Wolfhard," I shrug indifferently as she slides a plate in front of me. I grab a fork from her and stir around the spaghetti. "Not in the mood Finn, stop playing with your food," she warns, looking at me sternly. I put my hands up in surrender then smile while taking a small bite. "Better," she nods and walks off. The food here isn't that bad, so I'm finished quickly.

I tap my foot impatiently. Usually Carl and Jimmy are here by now.  I bury my head in my arms when I hear a set of footprints prior to the seat in front of me getting occupied. "Do you mind if I sit here?" A small voice asks. I glance up to see who my guest is. I can tell even though he's sitting that he's short. His brown hair is clipped into a bowl cut and he has  big hazel eyes. I lazily stretch a hand out. "Wolfhard." He seems shocked by my monotone attitude. A lot of people are. "N..Noah S..Schnapp," I nod as he shakes my hand with a slight tremble.  "So, why are you here?" At my question, his eyes grow wide with fear, gaze locked at the space behind me. I look over my shoulder to see a boring white wall. "They say I see things. I..I.. It's not 'seeing' if they're really there, right?" His voice sounds strained as a vein in his neck pops out. I let out a low whistle and clap my hands. "Well, I just remembered. I have some place to be.. Bye Schnapp." He dips his head to acknowledge my departure but remains focused on the wall. Glad I'm not like the rest of these freaks. I'm just about to head back to my room when someone brushes past me, causing me to trip. "Watch it!" A hoarse voice hollers. I compose myself and face the person. He has curly brown hair and green eyes. His two front teeth are also missing, I wonder if he lost it in a fight. While I was inspecting him, he must've been doing the same. He chuckles. "You don't look like you've been here long." His eyes glint, looking for a challenge. "You're right, I haven't." His expression changes from being brash to calm. "Matarazzo, Gaten Matarazzo, but everyone calls me Babyface." I hold back a laugh. "Babyface? You don't seem like the type to accept that." He looks around then leans a close, his voice barely above a whisper. "Wanna know how I got it?" I nod, but something seems...off. "I murdered these two boys that bullied me my whole life. No one expected it because I seem like 'such a sweet kid'," he throws his head back and chortles.  I step away, rubbing against a wall. "What? You afraid?" He cracks his knuckles. "N..no?" He shoves me, slamming my shoulder-bones harder against the plaster. "You should be." With that, he swaggers off, casting a glare at me one last time. Now I know why I never left my room.  I dash down the hall, not wanting to run into anyone else. Sadly, I spoke too soon. As I round the corner to my cell, someone going equally as fast tackles me. Out of everyone I've bumped into today, he's the only one I know. Caleb McLaughlin. He was accepted here the same time as me for being a kleptomaniac. At least I don't have anything of value...oh no. I glance down at my wrist. It's a shiny silver bracelet with the initials  M.B.B encased in an engraved heart. He notices my stare and quickly slips it off my wrist. Caleb quickly turns on his heels and starts jogging in the opposite direction. "Hey!" I call, "give it back!" The noise was drawing the attention of a nurse a few feet in front of Caleb. I point at him. "He stole something from me!" She jumps in his path and grabs him roughly before he can pass. He struggles against her clutch, but doesn't manage to escape. "Give whatever it is back to this boy," Caleb rolls his eyes and tosses the bracelet at my chest. "Take it," he spits. The Nurse, Miss. Dyer, flags down a man in a suit. His name tag reads Mr. Keery. "Can you take him to his room? He stole something from this boy and needs to be returned." Mr. Keery nods and hold Caleb's wrists behind him. He glares at me as he's being led away. Miss. Dyer turns to me. "Are you okay? And what's your name?" "I'm better now," I wink, making her groan. "And the name's Wolfhard. Finn Wolfhard." Not even a second later, Carl and Jimmy round the corner. "Oh boys! How I missed you," I swoon sarcastically while taking both of their hands in mine. I higher the pitch of my voice and continue. "You both had me so worried! I thought something happene-" "Can it Wolfhard," Carl interrupts. "Geez, learn to take a joke," I mumble. They lead me down the too bright, too white hallways to my cell. Jimmy pushes me lightly before they slam the door. My eyes grow wide and I slam my fingers into my pocket until the grasp the cold metal of the bracelet. I let out a sigh and put it back on as I lay down on my bed.