Ch. 10

A/N: so…..just keep in mind while reading this chapter I do love the cast very much and this is just a story so don't kill me :) )

I sit on the edge of my bed and twiddle my thumbs. Shortly after Millie's candor statement, Carl and Jimmy lead my back to my room, and Miss. Ryder took Millie to fraternize with the other students. I slide off the mattress and shift my hand around under it until I find what I'm looking for. My watch that I snuck in when my parents brought me here. Usually, they don't mind items from home, but you're not allowed electronics of any sort if they're not in the Entertainment room. Apparently having ‘fun’ is a crime here. I figured I would need something to tell time, so I took the watch and hid it. Glancing at the highlighted face, I see it's now 12:45 p.m, almost time for lunch. With my luck, Millie will probably be there, along with the other freaks (minus Noah, he's okay). They deserve each-other. Knowing Her, she's probably all over some poor out-of-his-mind guy that doesn't understand what's going on. I scoff aloud and toss the watch back to its spot of origin. I never would have thought a single person, let alone a girl, would screw up my average life this bad.

"Want a sip?"

I turn around to see who's bothering me now. It's a short, attractive brunette holding a bottle of beer.

"I don't drink," I grumble while waving her off.

I've never been a big partier, I don't even know why I'm here. Oh yeah, because Nick's suppose to be grounded and taking me to the mall as part of his punishment. I can't wait till we leave.

"You sure?"

She tilts the alcohol closer to my face. "Positive," I reply as she sits next to me and dips her feet in the pool.

"Bummer, because I don't drink either,"

I let out a low laugh.

"Then why do you have a beer?"

She purses her lips.

"Someone just handed it to me,"

I nod. She doesn't look like she's been drinking, quite the opposite actually. Her eyes are alive in a way I've never seen before, sparkling from the water in the pool.

"Finn," I stick my hand out, and she shakes it with her free one.

"Millie," she smirks.

"Wolfhard! Didn't you hear me? It's time for you to eat!" Carl growls as he yanks me up by the sleeve.

"Geez Carl, don't damage the merchandise!" I exclaim, making him groan.

"Hey, where's Jimmy?" I ask while looking around the unusually busy walk.

"With that little girlfriend of yours."

I scowl.

"She's not my girlfriend."

Carl mutters something under his breath and drags me around the bends and turns. He nudges the lunchrooms door open with his foot and tosses me inside. "Thanks for the escort my dude!" I salute him as he spins swiftly on his heels.

I turn around to head to my table when I see Her sitting with Baby Face, Noah, Sadie and Caleb. My favorite collection of people I can't stand. Trying to ignore any confrontation, I keep my gaze low and shuffle past, just to get my wrist snatched by Sadie.

"Hey Finnie! Were you trying to sneak by me?"

She pulls me into the seat next to her. "Silly boy," Sadie taps my nose playfully as I try to break away from her.

Do we really have to socialize during lunch? Is it truly necessary?

"Finn," Baby Face garbles between bites of his chicken sandwich, today's meal. "Have you met Millie?"

Should I tell them the truth? If I don't she probably will. These guys get on my nerves anyway.

"Who hasn't," I mumble under my breath, gaining an unwanted glare from the queen herself.

"Me and... Finn use to date," Millie explains, making Caleb's jaw drop.

He's about to say something, but I cut him off.

"No more questions, please. I'd rather not talk about it."

Sadie giggles, "somebody's in a bad mood today."

She tousles my hair with her left hand while taking a sip of lemonade. I glance over at the quietest member of our party, Noah, just to see him poking his sandwich gingerly.

"You ok?"

I jab his shoulder lightly, making him jump. "Y..yeah, s..sure, is that what you want to hear? Because that's what everyone else wants to hear.”  

I shrug. Compared to these guys, I'm a totally normal, functioning, human being. Why can't anyone else see that? I stare at the food in front of me, completely unappetized. I really just want to be alone. And out of here, but the latter is less likely. Getting up abruptly, I push Sadie off me and jog briskly down the hall, away from their cries of 'concern'. At a safe distance, I pause and lean against a white wash wall, only to hear another set of footsteps drawing near.

"What do you want Millie?"

"Just, I..I need to apologize..."

When I face her, I notice her eyes glint with tears. Are they real? Probably not, I can't fall for her games...not again.

"Oh how funny, do it now after the damage is done."

"Finn please," she strains, inching closer. "I'm being serious."

"I know, just as serious as our relationship was, right?"

Millie bites her lip sadly and locks her stare with mine.

"I'm truly sorry, I never meant for this to happen."

Don't fall for it Finn, stay strong. How could she not ‘mean’ to play with my emotions? One step closer, her hand is brushing my shoulder. Two steps, our shoes are touching. Three, there's barely any space between us. She flutters her eyelashes and speaks, her breath tingling my nose.

"Please forgive me."

With that, she presses her lips to mine, soft and slow. Any worries I had before slip from my distorted brain as I kiss her back gently and wrap my arms around her waist. I'm losing my breath when I hear a warped shout, then another clear one. "Hey! Why are you kissing my girl?"