Ch. 12

I shiver in the October breeze as a dreary priest reads out a eulogy. Ever since Millie's....passing, I've been surprisingly better. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a psychopath that craves the death of others, but now I feel free. Like her hold of me is finally gone. I swish around the liquid in the bottle I'm holding. Funerals have never really been my thing, too depressing. Mine better be fun, and loud. Silence is too uncomfortable. The quiet sermon swims in and out of my ears, resulting in me only catching certain words. I see her parents out of the corner of my eye. They're both sobbing and holding each other tightly. I wonder if they knew who their daughter truly was, not who she pretended to be. I wonder if she felt safe behind her facade. The priest steps back to the mic and taps it lightly, I must've zoned out.

"Um, if anyone would like to say a few words, please feel free to come up." Taking that as my cue, I swagger up to the front and tilt my sunglasses down, peering over the rim. The crowd is filled with about fifty people, some faces familiar, some not. The scenery is beautiful though, the vivid forest and bright flowers highly contrast the black suits and dresses. "I..I knew Millie very well, as some of you may know, we use to date."

The crowd murmurs amongst themselves then turns their focus back to me.

"She, she was definitely something else, a girl who always got her way when she put her mind to it."

Millie's father nods as her mother blows her nose into a tissue. How quaint. I nod a little and uncork the bottle in my hands, pouring a little on the coffin. I proceed to throw the bottle over my shoulder then reach into my pocket and pull out a cigarette. Fumbling for a lighter, I light it and take a drag, slowly sliding my sunglasses up my face into their original position. Snapping the lighter back open, I stare at the little flame. It twists and dances in the slight breeze, but oh the damage it can do. With the flick of my wrist, it lands on the coffin and catches the alcohol that lingers, enveloping the casket in flames. Smirking, I begin to walk away as people start shouting with alarm at the unpredicted scene. Smoke curls around me and the nearby forest as I snuff out the cigarette, I've never been one for smoking, just did it for a more dramatic effect. Maybe, if Millie hadn't been a heartless soul, things would've been different. Maybe I never would've gone to that hospital, maybe we would still be together, maybe she would still be alive. But that's the thing about maybe’s, they're most likely not going to happen, and in this case impossible. Still, it doesn't hurt to wonder. Now, I need to get my head out of the past. This is a chance for a fresh start, for something exciting and new. I'm not going to waste it thinking about things that are out of my hands. At the time I was released from the insane asylum, Noah was too. Apparently whatever he was seeing got ‘killed by some monster hunters’. We stay in touch, and have become great friends. Babyface got sent to jail as soon as the authorities realized it suited him better than an insane asylum. As I continue away from the hectic scene and deeper into the mysterious woods, a smile spreads across my face while the hell I've been entrapped in goes up in flames.

the end.