Ch. 4

Like every night before, I dreamt of her. Her laugh, her smile, the way her nose crinkles when she knows she's right. Tossing and turning, I wake myself up and fall out of bed. With a slight groan, I force my legs to move and stretch. The quality of the mattress isn't the best, which results in an aching back and neck. Typical though. Miss. Ryder's words play through my head as I change.  "In this small time I've been talking to you Finn, I didn't pin you as a person to give up." She was right. I, Finn Wolfhard, am not the giving up type. I will get out of here (but hopefully in one piece). I saunter over to my door, slightly more confident than I've been throughout my stay, and press the help button on the wall. "Yes Finn? Anything I can do for you?" I recognize the voice almost immediately. "Why hello Miss. Dyer, and yes, I would like to request Officer Carl to take me outside for a stroll." "Someone sounds like a proper gentleman today." "Oh you know I can be one babe." She groans, making our small talk have a sense of normality. "Okay Finn, I'll get Carl if you stop talking to me like that," you can tell from her tone that she's trying not to laugh. "Sure," I smile an accomplished smile. "He'll be there in ten." "I'll be waiting." With that I sink against the wall and stare at the chalk markings I've left. One slash for everyday I'm here. So far there's exactly 365, today marks the very day I was accepted here. As I'm sitting there, thinking, I realize I haven't seen the sun in a year, or felt the wind on my face. The thought saddens me on such I deep level I'm a little surprised. I'll be out of here soon....I will. I just need to get her out of my head. But is it as easy as it sounds? No. Time flies a lot quicker when you're distracted, because the door unlocks, signaling Carl is here for me. I jump up and greet him with a hug. "Woah Wolfhard, you have a fever?" He presses a chunky hand to my forehead. "Nah, just excited to go outside." And it's the truth. The outside world has just been a fantasy till this moment in time, but Carl still eyes me cautiously. "Okay then Wolfhard, let's get going." In an attempt to contain the happiness that's continually rising in my chest, I keep my hands rigid at my side and walk stiffly. I know it's cheesy, but this is the most hopeful I've been in a long while. Since my room is close to an exit (very smart choice) we make it out in no time. I pause at the threshold and take in a deep breath, my lungs filling with fresh air. It doesn't look much different on the surface than it did a year ago. The bushes and grass are trimmed in a sophisticated manner. The ivy climbing up the beige building has been slightly tamed this time though. It's crazy how simple things can bring you so much joy when you've lacked them.  "Where you wanna go Wolfhard?" I gape at him, clearly shocked. "Wait, lemme get this straight, we can go wherever I want?"  He nods. "As long as it's reasonable." Wow...I haven't called the shots in forever. This is great! "Hmm...." We should probably go somewhere where I can get something logical. "Can we go to Michael's? I want some paper and pencils." Carl nods and grasps my wrist firmly. I thought he trusted me more, but I understand. When I first arrived her, I didn't really take in the surroundings during my trip. I really wish I would've, everything is spectacular. It takes us twenty minutes to walk to the local crafting store. The front door jingles faintly as we step through. "Hi! Welcome to Michael's, my name's Shannon. Anything I can help you find on this lovely day?" She smiles kindly at us behind her cash register. I'm about to answer, but Carl does it for me. "We were just looking for some paper and pencils. "Ah," Shannon taps her cheek lightly. "Isle seven should have both things. If you need anything else you know where to find me!" Her cheeriness is really refreshing compared to the drab expressions worn by everyone at the asylum. Carl shuffles around the various items and selects few at random. I use to draw a lot, and the brands seem to be pretty good quality. "Get everything easily?" Shannon's easy tone quips.  "Yes we did," Carl responds lazily. He rushes things along, anxious to get me back to my prison. But I don't really mind. I mean, in the short time I've been out, it's been very blissful, and I don't regret a thing.