Chapter 6 - First Born

Sam and I make our way into the bunker with our shopping bags in tow. I'm trying to keep myself as busy as possible, not to let my mind wander to the pain I'm trying so hard to ignore. As we go down the stairs, I spot Mary sitting at the main table next to Cas.

"Hey." I call out.

"Tastes like... molecules." I hear Cas murmur absentmindedly.

"What? What're you talking about?" Sam asks as we reach the bottom of the stairs.

On the table in front of them is an opened loaf of bread, peanut butter and grape jelly. Mary munches away happily at the sandwich, Cas looking down on it in distaste. He looks towards us and gestures to the food in front of him, "When I was human, you know, I had to eat constantly. It was kind of annoying."

"Yeah, a lot of human things are pretty annoying." I agree, placing the bags on the table.Addy.

"But... I enjoyed the taste of food, particularly peanut butter with grape jelly, not jam. Jam I found unsettling." He clarifies and I stifle my chuckle at the angel's antics.

"So what? Now you can't taste PB and J?" Sam asks, reaching over and dipping his finger into the jelly jar for a taste.

"No, I taste every molecule." He clarifies as I dip my finger into the peanut butter, enjoying it's smooth texture.

"Not the sum of its parts, huh?" I ask, wiping my hand on my jeans.

He screws up his face and shakes his head, "It's over whelming. It's disgusting. I miss you, PB and J."

"Well someone seems to be enjoying it." I say, looking over at my little girl who is covered in the food.

Cas smiles and offers her his own sandwich, cutting it up into small triangles like she likes. She munches away happily and I lean down, placing a kiss on her head. Cas pushes himself to his feet and turns towards me, "We need to continue your healing. We're almost done."

I sigh as Sam watches us, still rather concerned about me. After everything happened with Dean, Cas took me back to the bunker. He explained everything to Sam, me just wanting to be alone with Mary. He's extremely angry with Dean, but I can tell that he does miss his brother. I push away any thoughts of my estranged husband as Cas lays his fingers on my forehead.

I close my eyes and wait for something to happen, but I feel nothing. I open them and look towards the angel who has a frown on his face, "What?"

"Nothing." He lies and I knock his hand away, "You're a terrible liar."

He looks at me with wide eyes, "That is not true. I once deceived and betrayed both of you and your husband."

I ignore the sadness in my heart at the mention of him as Sam talks, "That's not the point. Cas, what's wrong?"

"I noticed something." He states, his eyes turning towards me, "It's... It's resonating inside you."

"What?" I ask and he pauses for a moment before speaking, "Something angelic."

Sam comes forward and folds his arms over his chest, "Okay, what the hell does that mean?"

"Maybe we should call Dean." He states.

I tense up and shake my head, leaning over and grabbing a ser kettle to clean up Mary's mess, "No. He wanted to go, and he's gone. We'll handle this."