Chapter 20 - The Prisoner/ Brother's Keeper

The cool breeze brushes against my tear stained cheeks, sending shivers down my spine. I hold my daughter against me tightly, her little face covered in confusion. My eyes are on the ground, focused on the white cloth that covers the body underneath. The sound of an axe cutting into logs echoes around the woods, everything else silent.

I feel like I may collapse at any moment, the grief consuming my entire body. The boys tracked down Charlie's location, only to find the worst thing imaginable. The Stynes found her and they killed her, left bloody and broken in a bathtub. The all too familiar heartache is in my chest, reminding me of the woman I've lost.

Charlie was someone I loved and cared for very much, we all did. She was so full of life and love, especially for us. I cared for like a sister, like I did with Jo so long ago. But I've lost her, another person added to the ever growing list. My head aches from crying, no tears left.

My husband steps into view, his face hard as stone as he kneels down and picks her up. He makes his way over to the pyre they have assembled for her, Sam helping him get her on. They then pour the gasoline on before lighting it up with the flick of a matchstick. My eyes remained locked on the blanketed figure, it taking everything I have to stay upright.

Sam stands next to me, his shoulders slumped with guilt as grief as he looks towards her body. He let's out a shaky breath, his hands buried deep in his pockets as he begins to speak, "Charlie... We're gonna miss you. You were the best. And I'm so sorry-"

"Shut up." Dean says flatly, cutting him off.

My eyes remain unmoved as Dean speaks, so much contained fury in his tone, "You got her killed. You don't get to apologise."

"We were trying to help you." Sam tries to argue, but Dean doesn't have a bar of it, "I didn't need help. I told you to leave it alone."

"What was I supposed to do, just watch you die?" Sam asks, turning to look to his brother.

"The mark isn't gonna kill me." Dean states.

"Maybe not..." Sam allows, "But when it's done with you, you won't be you anymore. Dean, you're all I've got. You and Addy and Mary. So of course I was gonna fight for you because that's what we do. Listen, I had a shot-"

Dean cuts him off, "Yeah, you had a shot. Charlie's dead. Nice shot."

Sam chokes up, his voice weak, "You think I'm...? You think I'm ever gonna forgive myself for that?"

"You wanna know what I think? I think it should be you up there, not her." Dean states, "This thing, with Cas and the book, ends now. Shut it down before somebody else gets hurt. You understand me?"

"What about you?" Sam asks and Dean's voice becomes menacing, "Oh, I'm gonna find whoever did this. And I'm gonna rip apart everything and everyone that they ever loved and then I'm gonna tear out their heart."

I look away from the fire towards my husband, my eyebrows knotted together. The anger that's in his eyes sends chills down my spine and fear in my heart.

"Is that you or the mark?" Sam asks and Dean remains unfazed, "Does it matter?"

He turns on his feet and leaves, making his way back towards the car and leaving us behind. My eyes look after him for a moment before looking back at the fire, Charlie's body consumed by the flames now. I close my eyes and take in a shaky breath, knowing that this is the beginning of something awful. And I'm not sure how we will come out at the end of this.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------