Chapter five

Glory was walking by the gardens.

It was nothing. Just a little stroll during break time, enjoying the sunlight and basking in the green shelter of leaves.

"I don't think Glory appreciates what she has, it's like..."

Glory froze in her tracks, peeking behind the bushes. A flash of familiar blue and yellow scales: Tsunami and Sunny- and she felt her heart still with curiosity.

She felt the shimmering changes of her scales morph into the surroundings, melting and blending into reflected sunlight, plants and flowers.

"She's like a spoiled brat- she didn't even look at Riptide when she rejected him. She doesn't appreciate what she's given and how great her life is compared to mine." That was Tsunami's voice- Glory felt her chest sink in, like a deflating balloon.

If only you knew, Glory thought, her eyes subconsciously drifting to cuts on her talons, fresh and deep.

"She can act a little funny sometimes," Sunny agreed. "Glory's been acting really rude to some dragons lately- I don't think she's faring fine."

Even Sunny? The cheerful ball of golden light, with a hopeful smile and faith in everybody- did Sunny really think that about her? Glory felt something settling on her, uncomfortable and throbbing.

"She acts as if she's better than Riptide-" Tsunami said, and Glory felt her throat catch, like a small hitch in an old door. Glory quickly went away as soon as possible, trying to block out any horrible things about her.

Her heart was pounding. Maybe faster than ever. How did her closest friends go against her like that? Depression sunk its claws into her as she thought of Starflight and kind, gentle Clay- did they think that about her, too? Did they think she was spoiled and incompetent?

"You seemed ticked off today, RainWing."

Glory felt her vision focus, and again the NightWing was staring back at her, smug and cold and sadistic as ever. Glory shook her head, trying to clear everything, but clutters of concern in her mind were still lingering, sticky and horrible. "I'm not in the mood, Deathbringer."

"And you think I should care about that?" Deathbringer continued, and Glory felt her scales reveal her emotions again, but she pushed it down, not daring to show anyone how horrible and regretful she felt after hearing that conversation. She pushed her way past Deathbringer and decided to ignore him for the time being.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Glory didn't pay any attention to the lessons that blew past her in a blurry blizzard, passing by like a train.

All her mind revolved around was Sunny and Tsunami- how could they hate her? Did she do something wrong? They- they knew she didn't mean to, did they?

Soon, the class scattered out as it ended, leaving behind a still distraught Glory, sitting in her seat, the chair pressing against her back like a queasy acceptance she couldn't bring herself to embrace.

She didn't know when the tears came, but when they did, she didn't stop them. They just fell like stinging pain seeping into her scales, agony and sorrow all at once. Crestfallen, she put her head on the table and tried to look unoticible.

"Wow, RainWing. Not so perfect, after all." Deathbringer's voice rang from above. "Sleeping, aren't you? Like all lazy RainWings do."

"Just leave me alone." She mumbled, her tears still trickling at her face, warm and ticklish. She felt ripples of gray and blue shift in her scales, from her wings to her tailtip.