Chapter eighteen (part two and i still hate this app)

-----------------------------------------------------------

Clay shifted in his seat.

Riptide's house was very nice indeed, with a set of video games in the living room and watercress sandwiches to keep him company.

It was certainly very nice indeed.

"And Deathbringer's all smug-" Riptide snorted, flailing his arms so much that he nearly knocked over a chair, to which Clay promptly moved to the side. "He thinks he's all mister strong but he doesn't know how much I've been through."

"Riptide."

Riptide turned, his eyes fierce.

"I honestly believe...Glory does like Deathbringer." Clay said carefully. "I know you like her, but it's clear that she doesn't return does feelings for you. I think you should...I don't know, move on."

Riptide growled and slammed his fist on the wall, causing a lamp to topple. "What kind of friend are you? I shouldn't have asked you, seeing you have tastes in such a monster..."

"Excuse me?"

"I'm saying that since you are all," Riptide rolled his eyes and shoved Clay in the chest. "horns over talons over that monster, maybe your opinion doesn't matter."

"That's just-" Clay started. This was ridiculous. Was Riptide referring to Peril? If so, he was so wrong- Peril was nothing like what she seemed, just a dragon born with an unlucky condition.

"Rude to tell someone that their crush doesn't like them? Yeah, you did just that."

"I'm not going to listen to this anymore," Clay said, furious, standing up and getting ready to leave.

"Watch your back, mudface."

-----------------------------------------------------------

Glory stopped in front of the prison, her heart beating. From the confession she just did or the sheer size of the cages containing RainWings, she didn't know. It had to be dozens...maybe a hundred of them, sitting in the hollowed-out caves with nearly no food and water.

NightWing guards wheeled around the site, their eyes glittering with menace, peering as if they smelled her on the island, their senses on high alert.

Glory felt the changes in her scales match the sky, her eyes following one of them, dragging another RainWing roughly and chaining more of his limbs so he couldn't move at all.

They didn't do that to the RainWings before, Glory thought. It's my fault. Ever since me and Kinkajou's escape, the guards increased security.

"This is horrible," Glory muttered.

She stilled in the sky, expecting a reaction from Deathbringer, but he stayed silent, wordlessly hovering in the smog-filled backdrop.

Did he not feel bad when he captured those RainWings? Did he know what he was doing to them? The pain, the suffering- he took them from their homes, just like that.

And he didn't even feel bad.

Glory swallowed her anger and landed on one of the shores, the gray sea lapping at her feet, the dry sand crunching like rocks whenever she stepped on them. She wondered how this place could stay hidden, until she glanced at the volcano and realized- no one would want to investigate a half-dormant volcano.

Lava sprayed from the side of the bay, water and lava colliding to form a black, rocky path that crumbled at the slightest touch.

It felt empty, even deserted. Glory wondered how the NightWings found food on this island, with so little prey here.