Chapter twenty five

AUTHORS NOTES: IM BACK IM BACK IM BACK WOOHOOOOO

The grass was cool and dry under the wind, crinkling like paper as it folded and folded and it was just begging to be burned into little bits.

Peril growled. She was just on the brink of escaping, one step away from freedom, and stupid Queen Ruby had to crush her hopes under her feet.

She had nowhere to go, honestly. She thought of Scarlet, her heart throbbing with longing, before tossing her feelings away. She's the one who got me into this in the first place, Peril reminded herself. As she flew, a thought of escaping briefly crossed her mind, but when she tried to swerve, guards from all direction, including Clay- Clay!- stiffened a little, their eyes piercing into her body like they were going to tear her apart piece by piece.

Finally, the clouds before them parted, and Peril could see that she was at the center of the city, where different dragons mingled together in streets and skies.

"Alright. Clay, is it okay if you get back home by yourself? I can get a guard to escort you, if you want."

Clay shook his head, turning to fly. "Thanks. Uh, I better get home quick. My friends should be pretty worried about me, I think."

Ruby nodded in understanding, and then hardened her gaze as it landed on Peril. Peril personally felt like ripping her wings out and watching it burn between her claws, but decided against that, since she was already so huge of a threat to them.

"You," Ruby seethed. "Would you care about what you did to my sister all these years ago? How you scorched her scales and melted her into a puddle of ash?"

"What?" Peril exclaimed, casting an disbelieving glance at the dragons around her, who were gleaming ominously in orange and red, as if to say: You're here, monster. And you're never coming back.

"You can't possibly believe this." Peril began, but Ruby glared at her, her wings shaking.

"Oh, I heard all about it!" Ruby flared her wings so she seemed three times bigger than she was before, a cool and collected commanding leader morphing into an angry, fire-breathing menace. "I heard NightWings talking about you. How you conspired with Scarlet. Tourmaline was gone the very same day Scarlet left my palace- want to explain all that?"

Peril stuttered, looking at her with utter shock. She didn't know who this Tourmaline was, much less consipred with Scarlet.

"I don't know what you're talking about...uh. I think?" Peril tried to carve out any dragon from her memory named Tourmaline, but nothing came to her mind.

Ruby let loose a frustrated growl, her tail curling up, almost like it was trying to stop itself from slapping Peril across the snout. Peril shrunk a little, folding up her wings. They were on the ground now, just two of them, and the guards beside her seemed like they were going to stab her in the throat if she would move just a muscle.

Peril scoffed. She'd like to see them try.

"You know what? Nevermind," Ruby threw her attention towards the sky, glaring at the clouds, even though her anger was clearly directed at her alone. "I don't want to see you here. I don't want to see you at all. Get out, fly away. I don't care where you go. If you even set a claw in the Sky Kingdom, rest assured that the entire SkyWing army will come flying after you." She stopped, and added, "Believe me, this is the most mercy you'll ever get from me."

Peril felt her heart burst into little shards, like that little flame of hope that she kept inside of herself was suddenly snuffed out. "What? But I don't know what happened to her! I didn't even- you can't-"