Chapter nineteen

Author's notes: whoo. I have plenty of things to say here. Uh...I'm having severe art block, and I decided to make a backstory here for deathy instead of y'know, continuing with that cliffhanger. Because I can.
.
.
Lol. Sorry.

But I love u

Deathbringer was one years old.

He was small.

His height was barely any other dragonets'. Maybe it was because of the thin, small slices of meat he was given, rotted at the edges and on a rare occasion, he was given two pieces of meat in a day.

His ribcage was showing, clearly visible despite the foggy darkness of smoke that hung above the sky, his limbs thin and his body weak, riddled with illnesses.

But he did have one thing.

He could learn.

He had intelligence. He overheard by hiding in little pockets of shadows that usually cast over the gloomy hallways, of guards that were sent on missions outside, and how pretty the sky was when the sun touched the sky, spraying a spectrum of colours into the blue ceiling above.

He had only heard little bits and pieces of conversations spoken within the island. But those little words, those little, little sentences, they gave him faith.

Curiosity.

Hope.

His mother was kind, perhaps, to him only. She would sometimes give a bit of her meat to him, albeit her straining body and already weakening state. Her smile was warm, bright, the only light in his dark, haunted life.

He had never seen the strange cotton-clouds pour water from the sky.

He had never seen the sun rise, its warm rays shining on his scales, the foot of its brightness stepping on the welcome rug of lush, green grass.

He had never seen the forests, and how it was packed with light and life, the air chittering with hope and packed full of prey.

But he could hope.

He could hope, that maybe, even if it was just a glance, he could see the world that was hidden away from him.

For the first time ever

That he had felt

Hope.

-----------------------------------------------------------

He had grown older.

His height had increased, by a tremendous amount. He was never bullied again, never teased for his shivering, feeble weaknesses.

He was Deathbringer, and he was strong.

The rumbles from the volcano became more often, sometimes reaching into a crescendo, scaring off ravens that peeked over the haze.

He had to find a way to live.

He had to go outside.

For the first time ever

That he had felt

Patience.
-----------------------------------------------------------

One year passed.

His hope had never dimmed.

In the darkest night there ever was, the smoke choking the lungs of NightWings, the raw, scratchy throats of black dragons filling the air with complaints as more smoke erupted from the cracks of the mountains.

More and more dragons were falling ill. Last year, only one dragonet was born. Population was decreasing. Fear, however, was increasing.

Guards were sick. They were tired, their eyes were red, their knees buckling like origami paper, ever so gently.

He was able to sneak past them.

He was quiet. Lucky to be here, even, standing in front of some...strange bushes he'd never seen before, the greenest green he had ever seen, the softest, most gentle soil he'd ever stepped on, and when he looked up at the sky...

It was blue.

It was blue! It was the deepest blue he'd ever seen, ever. Clouds stuck to each other, fluffy and white, while the sun cradled his form in warm light, enveloping him in kindness.

His wings brushed past leaves, branches, critters and stray butterflies. Butterflies- he had heard about them, mesmerizing and beautiful, stunning and vivid.

It was the first time ever

That he had felt

Happiness.

-----------------------------------------------------------

He was skilled.

He knew that he was thin, his scales were deep black and he could blend into the shadows well, quick and fast. Morrowseer spotted him instantly, and he was landed into a higher form of rank- Assassin.

He no longer starved. He had more meat, more prey, and even an apple. His mother received medication, got better.

He was known, famous, even.

It was the first time ever

That he had felt

Pride.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Her eyes were so full of determination.

Her scales, pelted with unseen scars of horror, abuse, pain, and suffering. He vowed, from that moment, he would protect her no matter what- a silent promise to himself, that he would keep, a ghost of a word on his tongue.

She shone.

Her scales shimmered with hidden emotions, rolling like calm ripples in an ocean, her personality quirky and somehow...relatable, but the best thing of all was-

-she didn't pity him.

She didn't know about his past, she didn't know what had happened to him, why he wanted so much to protect her so, so badly and why he was by her side no matter what.

It was the first time ever

That he had felt

Love.