Chapter seven

Author's notes: changing POVs because why not-

The smoke was a opaque blanket, thick and hazy.

Deathbringer could risk a few coughs from the burning, rotting smell, his eyes watering from the choking scent. It was illegal, to set home in a place so dangerous, but it was still a place to live for some low-born dragons, and Deathbringer was one of them.

This was where the most criminal of the criminals lived- the NightWing island.

He had heard little snippets of rumors, born from either drunken dragons or lying tricksters: NightWings were the most valuable dragons to hire when someone didn't want to get their talons dirty, mostly because they were barely visible in the shadows, and their thin frame allowed them to slip easily into the darkness.

That's what he was: a dragon for hire.

Deathbringer had quite the reputation on the NightWing island, being an assassin for years in his life of living up to his name. Quickstrike, his mother, had wanted proper education for her son, so they came up with a fake student record: a typical, trouble-brewing dragonet.

He coughed again- the smoke was getting to him fast. Bits and dots of black dragons lined the sky, winging across the glowing volcano that spurted out the smoke that painted the sky.

Finally, he landed on the rocks that queued up in a row across the gray shores, water and lava sizzling together, forming black pebbles in the sand. The warmth that radiated from the volcano was too hot to be comfortable, along with the illuminating lava that flowed in streams of yellow and orange.

"Assignment," Deathbringer yelled.

Morrowseer appeared almost immediately, as if he had mind-reading and detected him- but of course, he wasn't. Deathbringer assumed that he was waiting for him all day.

"Another? I believe you should take a rest."

Morrowseer had a calm, kind atmosphere, but Deathbringer could easily see through it like clear glass- he wanted to twist and shape and manipulate dragons to his bidding.

Deathbringer gave a firm glare of disapproval.

Morrowseer sighed. "Well, if you want to strain your tired little brain, sure. IceWing territory. Blaze."

Deathbringer understood. He could do this.

Morrowseer gave a small, tight nod, as if he was hiding something. It wasn't Deathbringer's job to prod it out of him, though. He was just a dragon doing his job.

The smoke got into his lungs again, and he coughed.

Damn it.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Glory coughed, her breaths coming in short, dry screams that died in her throat.

She wasn't feeling well at all. Her face was pale, even through the thousand shades of colours, and her eyes were bloodshot, tired and striking.

Another pill, She thought tiredly as she popped one into her mouth. Maybe she should visit her doctor again.

A surge of denial washed over her- this was only temporary, something that would last for a short little while.

Maybe I should take a break, She thought as she stared out of her window, the Saturday sun gleaming like there was no tomorrow.

She swallowed, and felt the tablet work its way slowly into her gut.

--------------------------------------------------------------

It was cold.

Wow, no surprise there. In the IceWing territory, totally not cold.

But it was freezing. Mist curled up his snout as his mask dipped on his face. Hiding his identity was one thing, but in this harsh weather? No way.

Morrowseer was probably punishing him for going against his advice for resting, although Deathbringer didn't fully trust him at all.

Then finally: a pale-gold SandWing, crunching her way through the snow, her wings shaking violently. A twinge of pity twisted in his head, but Deathbringer shook it off. This would be quick enough.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Glory felt the sunlight revive her a little inside. Kestrel wouldn't be back after one week- so that meant time to prepare for staying out of danger.

Maybe she could rest for a change. She hadn't had suntime in a while.

Another flurry of coughs surrounded her, and all at once she felt her heart stop, her head spinning, her chest hurting, her throat burning, and then she collapsed onto the ground and she felt absolutely nothing at all.

--------------------------------------------------------------

"How could you just let her slip away?!"

Morrowseer was angry, which was probably something very obvious Deathbringer didn't have to bring up.

"She was hidden by the snow," He said nonchalantly. He wasn't afraid if Morrowseer would do something to him. He wouldn't, because Deathbringer was one of the most effective assassins in a while- and if he did try to attack him, Deathbringer was much more skilled than he was.

Morrowseer glared at Deathbringer, but both of them knew he couldn't do anything.

"Fine," He hissed, a wisp of smoke curling into the gray air. "One more time, and your role as assassin will be over."

Deathbringer nodded.

--------------------------------------------------------------

"Wow, you cough a lot."

Glory felt her eyes flutter open, and a image of a bright yellow dragonet appeared in her vision, the colours stabbing violently in her eye sockets.

"You collapsed," Kinkajou explained before Glory could ask what she was here and why. "And then I had to treat you. And you wake up fast. Monkeys and mangoes, it's almost like you're used to getting hurt."

You have no idea, Glory thought. She surveyed her surroundings: just a normal house, green and yellow walls and...several potted plants?

"You're at my house. No one has ever been here before, because they'd always be busy with other things-" Kinkajou wrinkled her snout. "But I do fine here."

"Am I okay now?" Glory strecthed her wings. They seemed fine.

"No, apparently you've been sick for days. Wow, it must've been awful, coughing a whole lot." Kinkajou answered. "Want a kiwi?"

"No, thanks." Glory looked around. "I should leave."

"No, wait!" Kinakjou yelped so quickly it made Glory jump. "Please, I've never had a friend before at my house- can you stay? Just for a day or two?"

"I'm sorry, I-" Glory paused as she looked at the expression on Kinkajou's face. The RainWing was pouting with glistening eyes, not in a whiny brat way, but more of a sad, pitying look that Glory couldn't bear to see for long. Plus, Kestrel wouldn't be home until next week.

"Fine," She relented, and was greeted by even more beaming scales.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Deathbringer bumped into a SkyWing on his way back, one with gleaming, dangerous eyes with thin pupils like sunflower seeds.

"Hey," She asked roughly, and Deathbringer noticed some cuts on her knuckles. She's been in a fight, or she had, probably days ago. "Have you seen a RainWing around? Thin frame, narrow face, like an IceWing's?"

Possibly Glory, He thought as the image of his clawmate conjured up in his mind. Not possible. What are the chances she's searching for my clawmate? He shook his head.

The SkyWing did not utter any sign of gratitude, just grunting and lumbering on.

Deathbringer set himself aloft, his wings flapping, and little did he know that he had saved Glory's wellbeing unconsciously today.