Chapter twenty six

Tsunami dragged her tail along the ground, ignoring the jolts of pain that spiked through her scales whenever it hit a bump. She'd left Glory's place- along with the others (also shoving Deathbringer out; she didn't trust him at all)- after Kinkajou had told her story. Her heart beat even more at the memory, the sound of blood rushing in her ears.

Kinkajou. Kinkajou. She absolutely obliterated Morrowseer.

Tsunami could not have been prouder.

Obviously, the rest of the group (especially Sunny and Glory) shot rather disapproving looks towards her when she voiced her opinion, but what did they know? Tsunami knew everything about combat and courage. They sure didn't.

Except the only thing she was disappointed in in Kinkajou was the fact that she didn't let Tsunami do all the fighting first.

She should've brought a video camera with Kinkajou.

And then Tsunami remembered the Peril Video Incident That No One Wanted To Talk About Ever™ and tossed that idea away.

-

Peril had to tell her. This was her redeeming chance. Her day where all her sins would be gone and she'd be no longer be scaring everyone and everyone would be friends with her and Clay would be even more than fri-

Peril calmed herself down. Actually, this was her last redeeming chance. Those past few days had her feeling absolutely horrible- not that it was her fault. Queen Ruby The Great obviously didn't even try to see the whole picture. AND SHE DIDN'T EVEN KNOW WHO TOURMALINE WAS. WHY WOULD RUBY WANT TO BLAME HER FOR SOMEONE NON-EXISTANT IN THE FIRST PLACE? ARGHHHHHHH.

Peril took a deep breath and exhaled. She hated Tsunami all the more- but as soon as she saw the NightWings and Tsunami's image on the...the, uh, thing, she knew she had to do something. Something what?

Something heroic, obviously.

But Peril was tired. She was so, so tired, after so many days of flying and torture and flying again, she wanted to sleep and rest and forget it all happened.

Scarlet sold me for a pile of jewels.

Peril shuddered. Recalling back, she remembered that it was actually a sack of coins and a singular jewel, blue and gleaming in the blazing light. What did Scarlet want in the sack that had her trade Peril herself?

Peril shook her head, disgruntled. She really didn't want to find out anything- anything- about Scarlet anymore. She had no one else to depend on, to go to now. Even if Scarlet was kind of a huge jerk, at least she had a parental figure. Now she had nothing.

Clay.

Wait a minute. Clay.

She had Clay.

The thing in her heart was really thrumming now, beating faster and faster as her body, for once in a long while, burned with a purpose. She could salvage this- whatever it was. She could salvage Clay by figuring out what the NightSnoops wanted to do with Tsunami and- maybe- just maybe-

-maybe she could find hope again.

Peril felt as if a fresh breath of air just entered her lungs, filling her with actual faith and hope. This could work. This could actually work.

But first she needed to take a nap.

-

Tsunami's head perked up when she saw her car in the distance and shifting to a stop in front of her.

Well, it wasn't actually her car. It was actually a really, really long white car which she'd forgotten the name for, but all she knew was rich dragons like her had it all the time. Or so she thought. Tsunami could swear that Sunny had been hoarding at least sixty-five million dollars but not once had she seen the SandWing have a long car just standing wherever she was so Tsunami had automatically assumed that Sunny was really, really invested into her hoarding.