Chapter nine

"Here."

Glory handed a banana to Sunny in the prey center. Lunch was pretty quiet, mostly because half the school were playing outside, flying into who-knows-what. Sunny took the fruit, frowning, studying it.

"What's wrong?" Glory tilted her head.

"I don't really like bananas-" Sunny began.

"Aw, it'll be fine, you're probably just in a bad mood. Bananas are really good." Glory prodded Sunny in the side with her tail playfully.

"No, Glory, I mean-"

"Everyone!" Clay popped into view, holding two goats up in the air. "Jackpot! Feasting time begins now!" He bit on one and chewed nosily, earning a disgusted look from Glory. Sunny looked half sad and happy, and Glory dismissed it because Sunny tended to have her own bad times.

"Say," Clay looked around. "Where's Tsunami?"

"With Riptide," Sunny answered, and Glory didn't even know why, but somehow that made a shiver of bitterness tremble down her spine, small but strong, like a snake slithering across her scales.

So she doesn't spend enough time with her friends, huh. Glory felt her throat churn. Ha. What irony.

"Do you wanna go to a party?" Clay asked. "I'm free today, and I think Starflight would want to have a little fun in a while."

"Oh, sure! It's been so long since I went to one." Sunny sighed happily. "So, Glory, you in?"

"Hm? Yeah, sure." Glory replied. Inwardly, she was thinking if Tsunami was taking part in this as well. Glory shrugged. Not that things would go wrong at a party.

"So, what's this party about?" Glory asked.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Glory did not know that Fatespeaker's hatching day was tomorrow. With a little twinge of guilt for not remembering, she waited the last class to go by and finally, the bell rang.

Glory stood up with a start, her wings unfolding. Smiling, she walked outside, letting the sunlight seep into her body. Now that she was living with Kinkajou (though temporarily), she didn't worry as much as to meeting Kestrel back-

-oh no.

Kestrel would've been back by yesterday.

Glory felt her entire structure freeze, cold, chilling, and unsettling. Kestrel would've noticed her absence. Which meant...

Her mind flew back to scenes of bloody punches and screaming and shivering.

Glory's heart thumping loudly in her chest, she let herself float in the wind currents, willing them to carry her far away.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Deathbringer walked by the streets, on his way to the island, his head shaking with uncomfortable twinges. Something told him that something was wrong. He didn't know what.

Frowning, he headed back, swiveling in the air.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Kestrel's golden eyes had never looked more sinister or menacing.

"Hiding from me, I see." Kestrel drawled. "Cowardly little RainWing."

Glory looked up at the tall SkyWing, her wings trembling, and then she didn't something she didn't know she would do- something she didn't think she would even have the courage, the bravery to do.

She ran. She ran, she flew, she tried to escape, flapping her wings as fast and strong as she could.

Her heart sank when she heard the SkyWing's wingbeats close behind her.

After all, she remembered as her eyes closed around fear, SkyWings were fast fliers.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Deathbringer would've never expected someone to tumble out of the sky.

Green scales shone like glittering emerald jewels, wings askew. Deathbringer looked up in shock, his eyes following the falling figure, and he didnt know how long it took for him to finally soar and grab the dragon in his talons.

Whisking her out of the air. Her, he thought as he saw the facial features of...

...Glory?

Her body was full of bruises. It couldn't be Glory. There was no way this limp, lifeless dragon in his arms was Glory- the Glory that shot him down with sarcastic but affectionate remarks, the Glory that danced with him that night, the Glory that smiled and giggled no matter how lame his jokes were.

He remembered. He remembered the time when he saw fhose bruises.

He knew it. He knew it- it wasn't from accidents or some silly, clumsy scenarios. It was actually fighting. Getting beaten up- was that really something Glory partook in?

He glimpsed at the sky, seeing a familiar shade of red scales- his mind put everything back into place,- she asked. She asked if I'd seen a dragon- a RainWing. I didn't think it was Glory, but it was.

"Who's that?" Deathbringer asked.

"My mom." Glory murmured, her eyes lidded. "Well, no exactly my-"

A loud roar, and the SkyWing was following them.

"Let's go," He said hurriedly, his arms still tangled in Glory's, and he flew away. He didn't know if he could outrun the SkyWing, especially with a dragon in his arms, but he could certainly try.

--------------------------------------------------------------

"What a surprise," Tsunami said, her voice filled with venom. "She didn't show up."

They waited long enough. Forty minutes in Fatespeaker's party, and Glory wasn't here. Sunny felt her heart drop, like falling through clouds, her wings limp, and she looked up at Tsunami with reluctant acceptance.

"So she really doesn't care about us, huh." The SandWing whispered. She couldn't believe it, but here was proof. The empty seat that was still empty- like Sunny's heart.

"Yeah, and to think I thought she would." Tsunami glared at the ceiling.

"Let's just go and eat the cakes." Sunny said, brushing Tsunami's wing with hers.