Chapter 15- Mark

"Lexie, what's wrong?" I ask. Right after I say it, I realize how stupid that question is.

She shakes her head, tears rolling down her face.

"I think she's in shock," Meredith says. Meredith was crying earlier, but now she's completely calm. It's amazing how she can totally turn off her emotions.

"Let's give her some space, let her calm down before we ask her a bunch of questions," Owen suggests. Cristina nods and they exit the room. I agree that we should give Lexie space, but I also don't want to leave her. I look over at Meredith, who is stubbornly leaning against the wall. Her arms are crossed and I can tell she's not going anywhere. Lexie will be fine without me as long as she has Meredith.

I begin to pull away from Lexie, but she grabs my arm. "Don't go," she pleads.

"I won't go anywhere," I promise.

"I should get going, then," Meredith says. I feel bad that she has to leave when she wanted to stay, but Lexie is my first priority right now.

Meredith leaves the room, and I look down at Lexie. I want to assess her injuries, but I know it will upset her, so I try to casually sneak glances at different parts of her body. She catches on to what I'm doing.

"It's fine, you don't have to be sneaky about it," she says. I expected her to be mad, but she doesn't seem to care all that much.

I move closer to her to examine her. I cup her face in my hands and notice that her eye is badly bruised and there's a cut on her lip, but there is nothing major. When I lift up her right arm to examine her swollen wrist, she winces.

"Your wrist is probably broken, but we'll need to get an x-ray to be sure," I say.

Lexie smiles.

"What?" I ask. Her smile is contagious, and I smile too.

"I love it when you talk all professional," she says.

I bend down and gently kiss her, trying not to hurt the cut on her lip.

I continue examining Lexie. I stitch up a large cut on her arm and another on her leg. Then, I notice that her ankle is swollen like her wrist. I wonder how she managed to sprain her ankle and how her attacker managed to hurt her so much. There is also a large cut on her head and a bump right next to it. When I touch it, Lexie cries out.

"You're going to be fine, but I'm going to page Dr. Torres to take a look at your ankle and wrist," I say. "And I'll send in someone to talk to you."

"Talk to who? About what?" Lexie asks.

"Talk to whoever you feel most comfortable with. About who attacked you, how they attacked you, and what they did," I say, feeling anger in my whole body. How could anyone hurt Lexie? Why would anyone hurt her? "Who do you want to talk to."

"Can I decide later?" Lexie asks.

"Of course," I reply. I'm a little hurt that she didn't choose me right away, but I understand that this is a hard topic. "I'll see you later."

"Bye," she says as I exit the room.

Callie is standing right outside the door. "Hey, I heard what happened," she says. "I'm so sorry, Mark."

"It's not me you should be sorry for. Lexie is inside. Can you check out her wrist an ankle?" I ask.

"Of course. And let me know if you need anything," Callie says. She gives me a slightly awkward hug and goes into Lexie's room.