Ch.6

"Where is the darn potion?" Morina cried, almost startling Bree to certain death. It was quiet in the kitchen, not like the usual clicks of pots and pans. It was most certainly not Bree's idea to check the whole palace inside and out, however Bree kept mentioning she knew where the potion was, which she did. Morina was a terrible listener, though.

"I know where it is, Morina," Bree said for the twentieth time, it seemed, that night. "It's in Alex's room. Where I left it,"

Morina glared at Bree, completely oblivious to her annoyance. "Why didn't you just tell me that before? We could've been gone, with a snap!" she snapped her fingers, her eyes widening as she did so.

"Come on," Bree grunted, pulling Morina up the back flight of stairs.

Alex's bedroom was in the south wing of The Fairy Palace, all the way up in the third tower. It was very secluded from everyone else, and Bree used to believe it was because she wanted peace and quiet. But now she knew that she had moved up there because she felt like a third wheel around Bree and Conner, who had a room next door to each other.

Bree showed Morina Alex's room. "I hid the potion in Alex's fourth bookshelf in a dusty old book she never read," she explained. "Before we go to Camelot, we need to warn Alex and Conner's parents, Charlotte and Bob, about all of this. I don't think they know."

"Do we have to do that now?" Morina asked, obviously annoyed. She was very eager to get to Camelot, and didn't want to be interrupted while she was!

"Yes!" Bree said, rolling her eyes. "If I can just remember how to jiggle Alex's lock, I believe I can get us inside..."

The door to Alex's room swung open, and Bree took a moment to glance around. Everything looked the same, but the mirror on her wall glowed violently. Bree noticed immediately that that was the portal.

"Okay..." Bree trailed off while rummaging through books. "Ugh, which book did I put it in? Was it Charlie and the Chocolate Factory of Anne of Green Gables?" she held up the books while she thought.

Finally, she picked up Alex's copy of The Land of Stories. "Oh!" Bree cried. "That's what book I put it in," she chuckled. She pulled out The Portal Potion and clutched it close to her chest.

"Good," Morina said. "Let's go-" she screamed when she tripped and fell straight through the mirror.

Bree giggled and follow her calmly through.

****

Charlotte and Bob Gordon paced nervously around their living room. It was March 19th, the day break started for Alex, Conner, and Bree. They had planned to meet at the Gordon's house right away, so they could get started and go visit Charlotte's sister. They were supposed to be there any minute now.

After about an hour of waiting, Charlotte started to cry in frustration. "I don't even know why I even trusted them," she exploded. "They always find a way to get out of it," she said. "'Mom, an Enchantress is taking over The Land of Stories! Mom, an army from hundreds of years ago are taking over The Land of Stories! Mom, our evil uncle is taking over The Land of Stories! Mom, an evil witch is going to destroy the earth! Same excuse, all the time." She tried her best to mimic her twins.

Bob chuckled softly. "It seems a bit ridiculous, when you think about it," he agreed.

"Do they think they're somehow better than us?" Charlotte questioned. "I raised them! We raised them! What is wrong with teenagers-they think they can just go off to an Ivy League college and never speak to their parents again! When Alex and Conner get back, oh Bob you don't want to know what I'll say to them-" Charlotte was caught off by a squealing from outside their front door.

Before Bob knew what his wife was doing, Charlotte flung open the door to reveal a woman and her baby? The woman was covered in sweat, her sticky blonde hair mimicking her daughters. The little girl had strawberry blonde hair that was closer to a brown, with blue eyes and rosy cheeks. She immediately reminded Charlotte of Alex, and she sobbed.

The woman startled. "Oh, ma'am, if this isn't a good time...I can go to another house, or come back later."

Bob came to stand beside Charlotte. "What do you mean by that, um...?"

"Oh!" the woman cried, a little surprised. "Sorry about that," she apologized. "My name's Poppy Arlington," she said, and then looked down at the little girl, who was obviously her daughter. "This is Daisy. She doesn't have a father, and well, I don't have enough insurance to take care of her. I want her to have a good life, but I just can't take care of her myself. I tried adoption, but they wouldn't take her in because I was still healthy and alive. I went door to door asking people who were willing to take her in, but no one has bothered to open the door until now."

Charlotte let out a small cry, glancing at Daisy in the stroller. "Oh, Poppy, could you give us a minute please?" she said without looking away from the little toddler.

Poppy smiled. "Of course, ma'am," she started rocking Daisy back and forth in the stroller.

Charlotte shut the door and immediately began to jump up and down and squeal every few moments. "Aw, Bob! Maybe this little girl is what we need! It's been so long since we have had children in the house, and I've kind of missed it! Maybe little Daisy is a gift. A gift from The Fairy Godmother, don't you think, Bob?"

At first, Bob looked hesitant. He wasn't sure he wanted to commit to this in such short notice. "Charlotte..." he trailed off. He kept thinking about the little girl's smiling face and the mom's desperate expression on her face. Bob took a deep breath. "Let's do it,"

Charlotte beamed, and kissed Bob on the cheek. "Oh thank you, Rob!" she opened the door.

Poppy was still rocking Daisy, who seemed to have fallen asleep. She glanced at the mailbox in search of their last name. "Well, Mrs. Gordon, Mr. Gordon, what do you say?"

"We'd love to take care of Daisy!"

Poppy smiled in relief. A huge weight had been lifted off her shoulders. Daisy woke up again and began to play with Poppy's sweater string. "Oh thank God!" she gushed. "I can't express how much this means to my daughter and I! Could I have your phone number to contact her?"

Charlotte nodded, seeing no harm in it. "Yes, of course, of course," she quickly wrote down her phone number on Poppy's cell phone.

Poppy handed Bob and Charlotte some of the items Daisy owned. "Thank you again, Mr. Gordon and Mrs. Gordon. I'll be back with all her stuff. I'll contact you again, okay?" she kissed Daisy's cheek. "Bye darling!"

Charlotte nodded and they stood at the door until Poppy disappeared down the street and was out of view. She smiled, picked up Daisy from her stroller, and brought her inside. "Don't worry, little Daise. I'll take care of you, from now on and forever." She didn't expect the little girl to understand, but a spark in her eyes made it clear that she had.