Ch.30

Guinevere and Bree followed Alex to the lake. It took only a few minutes to get there, but it felt like hours.

The sun was setting in the sky when they made their way to the lake. Alex jumped behind the hill that you had to walk up to see the lake. Bree and Guinevere followed.

"There doesn't seem to be any back entrance," Guinevere observed.

Bree and Alex nodded in agreement. That's when Bree noticed something from towards the other end of the forest. There was something that looked like another lake. She had a sneaking suspicion that those two lakes intertwined somehow. She told her friends about it.

Alex and Guinevere looked to where Bree was pointing and they both gasped.

"I get it now!" Alex said. "That's why no one has ever been able to get into the lake because they go through the most obvious one, and the Lady of the Lake patrols that one."

She motioned for her friends to follow. "Come on," she breathed. "We have to get there without going towards the main lake where Nimue must be hiding."

While they rushed down the side of the hill, Bree fell and did a somersault down. Alex couldn't help but laugh, and Guinevere joined in.

Thankfully, there was more forest around the lake so Alex and her friends didn't have to do much sneaking. They just made sure they were quiet and didn't make much sound.

Until, of course, Guinevere happened to step on a twig. Of course. Guinevere gave a little gasp. "Sorry!" she squeaked.

Alex scrunched her eyes together. She had been making everything worse! "It's fine," she said, but her stomach did a flip-it was totally not fine.

She was cut off by water, moving towards the end of the forest where Alex, Bree and Guinevere were. And then, the water moved into the shape of a girl. THE LADY OF THE LAKE....

"Who goes there?" Her voice was mature and wise, as if she was much older than what most people realized.

None of the girls made a sound. They were too afraid they'd get caught and ruin it.

"Show yourself!" Nimue roared, and the water around her rippled vigorously.

Alex, Bree and Guinevere stayed frozen in their spots.

They stayed like that for a minute or so, watching as Fable slowly but surely sunk back into the water, her eyes still searching everywhere.

Bree let out a soft sigh. "We have to keep going," she said.

That's when Bree and Alex noticed that the whimpering sound was coming from Guinevere. "Are you alright?" Alex asked.

Guinevere was still trembling, and her knees wobbled when she took a step to walk, but she seemed okay now. "Okay," she muttered to herself. "I'm okay, we can keep going now."

When they arrived at the other end of the forest, where the secret entrance to the lake was, no one wanted to jump in first.

"It's going to be cold," Bree stated.

"I think my wand will get damaged," Alex commented.

"I'm scared." Guinevere finished, saying what all the girls were thinking but were too ashamed to say it out loud.

"Don't worry guys," Alex assured Bree and Guinevere. "We'll be fine. We all know how to swim, right?"

Bree nodded confidently, and Guinevere nodded uneasily. "Yeah, I can kind of now, thanks to you Alex," she and Alex had worked on swimming the day before. "I just don't want my dress to get caught on anything," she said, remembering back to when her dress had gotten caught on Captain Hook's boat.

Alex looked down and saw she was wearing a dress too. Bree was the only one in suitable attire, black ripped jeans, a black tank top and a bright yellow sweater.

Alex waved her wand and pointed to Guinevere. Her flowy blue dress was changed into black leggings and a hot pink shirt.

Alex waved her wand down to herself, and her emerald green dress changed to black leggings and a navy blue shirt with white lace at the bottom.

She smiled sheepishly. "Are we good now?" she asked, glad that they were now in comfortable attire.

Guinevere nodded as she stretched out her shirt. "Yeah," she said. "But what are these called?" she pointed down to their shoes.

"They're flip flops," Alex said. She wrinkled her nose and waved her wand at all of their foot, changing them into sneakers. "That's better. We're going to be running around, so we shouldn't slip."

Alex stared into the water. "On the count of three!" she said, though she didn't want to jump in much.

They all took a deep breath and counted in their heads; one, two, three! They plunged into the water.