Ch.35

Conner, Red, and Morina separated off into groups to train The Fairy Council. They all still felt awkward about it, but they had to make due. If they wasted time sitting around, nothing would get done, and The Lady of the Lake would win!

Mother Goose and Morina showed Emerelda and Xanthous how to control the water that the Lady of the Lake was using against them.

"But how do you know?" Morina asked when Mother Goose had offered to help. "I've seen how Nimue uses the water, but you?" she wrinkled her nose in confusion.

Mother Goose giggled. "Oh silly, Morina. You didn't know I lived with Merlin all this time, did you? I've encountered The Lady of the Lake several times before you showed up in Camelot. Once, I actually chopped off her head, but you know, she's water so she reformed quite quickly."

Morina stared at Mother Goose, eyes wide. "Well, okay, if you're such an expert at this." she didn't say it unkindly, just a little surprisingly.

On the other side of the clearing before Merlin's cottage, Conner and Red showed the rest of The Fairy Council how to use swords. The Fairy Council have never used swords in their battles; they used the force of magic or the force of words. Both were used quite efficiently, but Conner and Red both agreed that they needed to know how to swordfight.

"When have you ever used a sword?" Conner asked Red, a look of doubt on her face.

Red rolled her eyes. "Ever since we finished defeating The Masked Man, Charlie made my sons and I learn sword fighting. He was always nervous that something would happen to us. It was extremely boring, but it came in handy sometimes."

Conner shrugged. "Well, okay. As long as you're good at it," he turned to Skylene, Violetta, Rosette, Tangerina and Coral. "Are you guys ready?!" he shouted enthusiastically.

"YES!" Coral was the only one enthusiastic.

Conner smiled. "Since Coral was the only one being a good sport, I've decided that Coral will be the only one actually using the sword for the first hour." he grinned at the others fairies, which stopped sulking and were now glaring at him.

"That's not fair!" Violetta exclaimed. "Just because we didn't say anything, doesn't mean we're not excited, I mean-I'm super excited, ya know, to use swords and stuff!" she flailed her arms around, trying to convince Conner that she was excited.

Conner snorted.

"Coral's the least likely to be good at this," Skylene remarked, fluttering up higher in the sky and began to shake the leaves off the tree, making them rain down on just Conner.

Conner stepped out of the area where Skylene was shaking the leaves. "Stop that," he barked, and Skylene sighed. He glanced at Coral. "Are you ready?" he asked.

Coral nodded, clutching The Walking Fish closer in her hands. "Sure!" she replied. "I'm so excited. I've never sword fought anyone before! Emerelda never let me."

Red frowned. "Wait, is Emerelda your mother?" She asked in shock. All she ever knew that they were a close-knit group of fairies that came together to create The Fairy Council. She didn't know that they could actually be related!

"Oh god no," Tangerina said, beginning to laugh. "We're all siblings. Emerelda's the oldest by a few months than Xanthous, and then Violetta, Skylene, myself, Rosette and then Coral. But Emerelda and Xanthous always bicker about who's in charge. "

"We understand why you thought that," Skylene said gently. "But shouldn't we get back to the planned procedure?"

"I guess so," Red said. But a thought popped into her mind and she interrupted Conner before he could even start speaking. "Wait, this is an awkward topic, but who're your parents?"

"I'll answer that question," Coral started, staring at the rest of her siblings. "But we're not like normal humans. We're fairies, Red. We were created by the Fairy Godmother to become her apprentices, but we never listened to her-we were evil little creatures back then. So she sent us-"

"She sent us to The Frankenstein's story," Tangerina interrupted. "It was terrible! I was traumatized for minutes!"

Skylene, Rosette and Violetta nodded. "It was incredibly terrible!"

Coral smiled. "I liked it there!"

"Only you'd like it there," Tangerina muttered with a scowl.

"And then what happened?" asked Red and Conner in unison. They liked where this story was going. It sounded almost like...a fairy tale!

Coral beamed. "She came to get us back after a day, realizing that she was being just as evil as us when we weren't the same. But when she got us, we were much politer, much quieter, and had some sparkle in us. That's when The Fairy Godmother realized that Frankenstein recreated us and turned us into the fairies we are now."

"That's such an awesome story!" Red beamed, a twinkle in her eye. "I wish I had such an awesome fairy tale."

Conner was silent. "Wait, does that mean you're Frakenstein's children?" and as an after thought, he turned to Red. "And, your fairy tale is one of the best out of history! A snobby queen who marries a frog despite his differences! And then you adopted troubled kids from Neverland! What a story!"

Red nodded, that was pretty much her life story.

A troubling thought erupted inside Conner. He blushed, and said, "Wait, does this mean you're my aunts and uncle? Since, you know, you were kind-of made by The Fairy Godmother?"

"No," the fairies replied.

"We're basically Aphrodite from the Greek Myths," Tangerina said, trying to explain.

"How is that-"

"Because Aphrodite was created by the bubbles in the ocean, just like we were created from the Fairy Godmother." Tangerina tried to explain, the bees buzzing around her more vastly as she became annoyed.

"That isn't the same thing; it's barely the same actually!" Conner rolled his eyes. "Your explanation doesn't make sense."

Tangerina glared at the young boy. "I know that, Conner," she snapped. "It's a metaphor, sort of. We were created something that didn't 'belong' to us."

Conner gasped. "Oh!" he shouted. "I know what you mean now!"