Ch.20

"How much longer?"  Guinevere whined from behind Alex. "We've been waiting for, like, an hour!" 

Alex wanted to rip her own hair out, Guinevere was that irritating! She had been dealing with this for about 10 minutes, but she agreed that it felt like an hour. She ignored Guinevere and waited a few more minutes. 

Alex made her move. She motioned for Arthur and Guinevere to follow her. They hid behind a lamppost, until they saw a shadow fly over the sky. Alex knew it was Peter Pan right away. What other little boy would be flying around England? 

They snuck up to the front of the house and down under the stairs. It was a cozy fit, and Alex snuffled up close to the wall. One, for comfort, and two, so nobody saw her. 

 "It's cold down here," Guinevere complained, and shivered in the cold of night. 

Alex bit her lip. She tried to be respectful around Guinevere, but most times it was very hard. "When Mr. and Mrs. Darling come out for their dinner, we can sneak in," she said. 

"And how will we do that?" Arthur asked sarcastically. It was the first time he spoke in a long time.

"I don't know," Alex said truthfully. "But I'm sure I can figure something out. I always have a plan," she teased, flashing a smile. Her smile vanished when Guinevere began to glare, and she looked down at the ground. 

She could feel Arthur's eyes on the back of her neck, but Alex refused to look back at him. It had been awkward enough when they were talking. 

After she was sure Mr. and Mrs. Darling had left, Alex motioned for Guinevere and Arthur to follow her to one of the front windows. 

Alex grinned ecstatically. "They must have left the window open!" she cried, her eyes widening in surprise. "This is good, if we can just squeeze in." 

Alex pressed hard on the ledge of the window and boosted herself up. "Here," she said, and grabbed hold of one of Guinevere's wrists to help her into the window. 

"Ouch," Guinevere moaned, rubbing her wrists together. "That hurt!" 

Alex rolled her eyes and practically threw Guinevere off her. The two girls waited until Arthur had finally boosted himself into the window. 

"Okay," Alex said and crouched down onto the floor and began to crawl. "I believe the children's room is upstairs on the far left. We have to be careful, because their grandmother might be up and about." 

Up in the hallway, Alex found the door and peeked inside. "I think Peter Pan is trying to get in through the window,  but the Darling's are still asleep."

Guinevere poked her head through the door, making a loud CRACK! 

"Ouch!" she shrieked. She had been getting hurt a lot that day, which was totally unfair to her!  

Alex covered Guinevere's mouth with her hand, pleading with her to be silent. She didn't want Guinevere to wake up the children and ruin their whole plan! 

Guinevere rolled her eyes and huffed like a child. 

Once Peter Pan had burst into the room, the Darling children were up and awake and smiling and laughing and nodding. Peter motioned for them to follow him, to grab onto his foot. The children smiled and nodded.

"Oh no!" Alex cried, and gripped Arthur and Guinevere's wrists. "Run!" she cried, and they burst through the room and ran towards the window. 

Guinevere, totally confused, accidentally pushed all the Darling children down and they were knocked out. "Oops!" she gasped. "I'm sorry, I totally didn't mean to!" 

Alex bit the inside of her lip, trying to calm herself down. "It's fine, Peter Pan hasn't noticed. If we're careful, we can pretend to be the Darling children, since there are three of us. Be quiet, don't say a word!" 

Alex climbed onto the window seat. "He's getting ready to fly," she told the others. "We have to get ready. Jump and grab his foot!" Alex whispered into Guinevere's ear. She had to be quiet or then the plan would be ruined. 

"What?!"  

"Grab his foot, you idiot!" Alex was definitely annoyed now. She had shrieked a bit too loudly, for everyone's sake. 

Peter Pan turned around just as Guinevere jumped out the window and her hand gripped onto Peter's foot. He tried to shake her off but she had a strangely strong grip. 

Arthur jumped out the window and grabbed onto Guinevere's foot and she hissed in pain.

"You're heavy!" she snarled, trying to shake him off. He was gripping too tight! "It should've been the other way around! I'm as light as a feather!" 

Alex jumped on, and gripped Arthur's foot. "Sorry about this," she called up to Peter Pan. "It's what has to be done!" 

Peter Pan tried to shake all of them off and they started dangling in mid air. "Get off, get off, get off!"

"It's no use, Peter!" Alex shouted from behind. "We're not letting go!"

Peter sighed. "Fine," he said. "But when I get to Neverland, I'm not helping you with whatever your silly little plan is. You're on your own from then on. Now lighten up, will you? You're as heavy as a baby elephant!" 

Alex huffed. She could have used Peter Pan's help, but if this is what had to be done, then she would take that answer. "Just take us, would you Peter?" 

****

While Peter flew through the sky, Alex felt a sense of peace. She was in The Otherworld again. She was home. Sure, she was in England. Sure, she was in the past, and she actually hadn't been born yet. Neither had her parents or her grandparents.

As Alex looked down into the busy night streets of London, England, Alex felt as if she could rule the world. Her heart filled with love and happiness, and no drama or sadness or anything she had felt through the past few weeks could get to her. Not even Arthur. 

Alex turned her head upwards and looked at the sky. It wasn't pitch blackness as everyone said it was. It was a dark blue, not royal but pure. The millions of stars in the sky twinkled and smiled down at her.

She stared at one of the biggest stars, with a purple rim around it. The Fairytale World, she thought to herself excitedly. She could just feel that she was right, she didn't even need to ask. Alex closed her eyes and sent a message through her mind, which she hoped wasn't stupid and worthless, but it would actually get to someone; Whoever finds this, it's me, Alex Bailey. People call me the greatest fairy alive. I just wanted to say that I'm alive, and I'm okay. Don't worry about me. When I'm ready to come home, I will. I love and miss you. I don't even know who I'm speaking to...but I miss you. I'll see you soon, fairies.

Alex smiled, breathing in the fresh air. She was not in pain, she was not angry or anything. She felt happy. And that was much better than a million magical sparks.