Ch.9

Bree tip-toed to her backyard, feeling weird going back to her dorm. She didn't want to face her roommates, so she hoped they had gone out. She still felt really guilty about lying, and she was sure it played on her face. Morina followed closely behind her, not wanting to get lost in this strange world. She had never been to Willow Crest, only New York City, and now that she had regenerated, she wasn't going to head back there any time soon. 

"Ouch!" Morina shrieked, grabbing her foot. She had stepped on the little tap for the sprinklers. "What is that thing?" She asked Bree, who just rolled her eyes.

"Shush," Bree said. "We have to be quiet. I don't want anyone thinking we're breaking in, so they'll call the police." 

"You okay?" Morina asked again. "You seem a little upset. I don't think you should, however, lying isn't the worst crime in the world. You look like you've killed a puppy-that's the worst crime in the world." 

Bree sighed. "Whatever," she said. "It doesn't matter. I'm just a little upset, because I lied to my closest friends. But it's for the greater good." she said quickly. 

"But-"

"So what's going to happen when we're back in the Fairy Tale world?" Bree interrupted her, not wanting to talk more about her friends. "Are we ditching Brandon and venturing off on our own, or are we going back to him?" Bree sort of wish they went alone. Bree sort of liked having Morina around, surprisingly. She hated Brandon though, there was something that seemed off about him, but maybe it was just because he was from The Otherworld like her. 

Morina sighed. "We need Brandon, but I'm not sure we need him now." 

Bree smirked. "Alright," she said, totally getting what Morina meant. "I wonder what we're going to do after we find Alex," she said, trying to make small talk. 

"I don't know. Whatever life throws our way, I guess." Morina shrugged, her black dress making wrinkles. She bent down and smoothed them out, like the perfectionist she is. 

Bree nodded. "I guess so," she replied. "That makes sense." 

They arrived in Bree's backyard. Bree peaked through the window to make sure no one was in the kitchen. No one was. Bree smiled softly, relief flooding through her body. Bree looked around the backyard for something to break the window with. 

"Hey, Morina, grab that hammer." Bree said, gesturing to the small hammer by the side of the fence. She didn't want to break the window, but she had to do something. She no long her the key, and her roommates weren't home. 

"Um, why?" Bree glared at her. Morina nodded, getting it. She ran over to the fence and grabbed the hammer, swinging it around for good measure. "It works," she said, and brought it back to Bree. 

"Thanks," Bree muttered. She grabbed the hammer and gave it a soft swing to the window. The window broke into pieces, but not big enough for someone to enter through. "I should've brought my wand! Dang," 

"Don't worry," Morina said. "I can use my magic." She said. "My magic will work because I'm doing this for evil, sort of. I'm breaking something, which counts as evil." She closed her eyes and in one swift movement, the window was gone and replaced by a sheer curtain. 

"Okay," Bree said. "Come on," Bree lifted herself into the window, her boots making a soft landing on the floor on the other side. "Here, I'll help you," Bree said, and pulled at Morina's arms as she hoisted herself on the ledge and into the house.

The two girls entered the portal and were welcomed by the safe sensation that they were home and back to The Fairytale World.

****

"You don't know where the potion is?" Snow White cried, glaring at Conner. "How could you? This is terrible!" she paced around, anger fuming inside of her. How were they going to find Bree and Alex now? 

Conner put his hands up defensively. "Hey! Bree was the one who took it, not me. She never got the chance to tell me, okay?" he rolled his eyes. "I should be the one who's made, not you!" 

Snow White crossed her arms. "Well how are you going to find it?" she asked. "It's not like you can ask Bree, now that she's gone." 

Conner shook his head. "I don't know, but I'll find it. Someone help me?" he pleaded. 

The monarchs were silent, until Red spoke up. "Fine!" she cried. "I will, since everyone's begging me and all." 

Sleeping Beauty snorted, and then let out a small gasp at her rudeness. "Sorry," She peeped, blushing. "I didn't mean to be rude, Red." 

Red sighed and rolled her eyes. "Whatever, it doesn't matter," she said, and followed Conner out of the library. "Do you have any idea where Bree would have put it? Or if Alex has any extras of the potion?"

"Well," Conner started, thinking. "I know Alex made extras after the war. But I'm not sure where she put them. She might've even taken it with her to university, but I don't think she did."

"Wow, that helps a lot."

"Come on, Red! Just help me, okay?" Conner sighed. Red was one of his oldest friends in the group and he wanted her on his side.

"I will, I will. I just feel like I could've done something to have made her stay." Red said softly, her heart banging inside her chest. She felt it was partly her fault. If she had been with Alex more, than she wouldn't have run away. She could have stopped her, before it was too late.

Conner didn't even have to ask to know who she was talking about. "Oh, Red. You know you couldn't have done anything. She was different. I don't know what happened, but I have a feeling Bree knows more than me. It wasn't your fault. We don't know why she left. It could've been her own problems, or it could've been mine," Conner wrapped his friend in a friendly side hug.

Red sniffled. "Right, okay," she still wasn't convinced. "I will check Bree's room." 

"I'll check mine," Conner agreed, and zipped past Red and into his bedroom. 

Red opened the door to Bree's room, surprised by the chilliness of the room. It was dark, and the bed was still unmade. The curtains were blowing in the cool wind. Red walked towards the closet, her first instinct was to check there. She knew that when she was younger, she'd always hide her very special things in her closet. It was off duty to her parents, and she could hide any possible thing there without being caught. She rummaged around through the clothes and boxes for a while, but found nothing; just a pair of ruby shoes that she was sure Bree wouldn't mind losing. 

Conner swung the door open to his room, looking around to make sure nothing was out of place. He wanted to make sure Bree hadn't been back, because if she was, then maybe Alex was too. Conner deflated when he realized nothing had been out of place, but was relieved at the same time. Conner looked around for a while but found nothing.

Red and Conner met in the hallway connecting their rooms. "I found nothing" They said in unison. They were both eerily quiet. 

"Does that mean we have to go to Alex's room?" Conner was dreading it. He didn't want any memory of her, not until they found her. And anyways, Conner always felt like he was intruding when he went into Alex's room. It was so closely-knit, that he could normally never find her, which meant he didn't know when or where she'd pop up. 

"Well if Alex made extra potions that's probably where she put it." Red said, which Conner thought made sense. 

Conner nodded. "True," he said. "I'll show you where it is."