Ch.19

Once Conner and Bree got up from the ground, they found out they were in New York City. 

Conner sighed. "We have to take a plane back to Florida," he said. 

"Why can't we just stay here?" Bree asked. "All we need to do is find information on The Lady of the Lake. There must be some information on her in some government documents, or something like that." 

"I have to talk to my mom," Conner told Bree. "She might be able to help us."

Bree thought for a while. "I have an idea," she said. 

"How about we split up?" Conner was about to disagree when Bree put up her hand to silence him. "Just here me out, Conner," She said, chuckling to herself. 

"Cornelia, Frenda and Wanda live in Connecticut. We can't possibly find out much information on the Lady of the Lake by just searching her up in the library. I'm sure Cornelia has some special equipment that can help us."

Conner still didn't like the idea, but he had to admit, that was the most likely option. "Okay, fine. Let's call a taxi and get to the airport" 

Once Conner and Bree arrived at the airport, they headed to separate lines for tickets. Bree alerted Conner from the other side to say she was going to head through security.

Conner bought his ticket and followed Bree through. 

When Bree landed in Connecticut, she hauled a taxi and told him the exact address of Cornelia's home. It took only a few minutes to get there. 

"Thank you, sir." Bree said and handed him a tip.

The taxi driver smiled. "You're welcome, ma'am," He said, and with one final wave, drove off. 

Bree went up to the door and knocked. The door opened and out came Wanda. "Oh!" She cried. "Who are you?" she asked, confusion in her eyes. 

Bree paled. Did Wanda not remember who she was? Was she not going to let her in? "Um, Wanda, it's me Bree," 

Wanda was frozen for a second until she jumped in realization. "Oh, Bree! I'm so sorry. You look so different! So...grown up!"

"Thanks," Bree said, even if she wasn't sure whether or not it was a compliment. "Can I come in?"

Wanda nodded. "Sure!" She said, and opened the door wider. "Frenda just went out to the grocery store,"

Bree frowned. "What about Cornelia?"

Wanda startled. "Oh, dear. No one told you?" she said thoughtfully, with a bit of sadness laced in her voice. 

"Cornelia's dead, dear," 

****

Conner decided to walk home. It wasn't that far, and besides, there was a Starbucks on the way so he could get a coffee or something.

After ordering something at Starbucks, he realized he couldn't walk and carry all his treats at the same time. Conner sighed, and walked towards a bike rental place. He exchanged money for a bike and pedaled on to Charlotte and Bob's house.

When he finally got to the big house (Conner still thought it was big,) he slung the bike onto the grass on the front yard. That's when he noticed baby toys laying out all across the yard. He looked around to see if the neighbors had left something, but there seemed to be baby toys in their yard too. 

Conner shrugged and continued on to the front door. KNOCK! KNOCK! KNOCK! 

Bob opened the door and jumped. "Conner?!" He cried. "Charlotte, Conner's home!"

There was thundering footsteps and Charlotte embraced Conner in a hug. "Oh, Conner! I can't express how much I've missed you...Where's Alex?"

"Long story, Mom," Conner said. "I'll explain when you let me inside." 

"Oh, right." Bob laughed and opened up the door wider. 

Conner stepped inside the house. Conner's jaw dropped. There was even more baby toys in the house than outside, and baby furniture as well. 

"What happened in here?" Conner glanced between his mom and Bob. "Ew..." he muttered, an idea coming to mind. "Did you guys finally decide to have a baby and not tell us?" 

Charlotte and Bob laughed. "No, but we did adopt one."

Conner's joking laughter faded. "WHAT?!"

Charlotte went to the other room and scooped a little girl into her arms. For a second, Conner thought she was looking at Alex. 

"Um, Alex?" Conner squeaked. "ALEX, DID MOM KIDNAP YOU AND SHRINK YOU?!" 

Charlotte laughed, and continued to rock the little 'Alex'  to sleep. "No, Conner," Charlotte said. "This isn't Alex, however she does look a lot like you two. Anyways, this is Daisy." 

"Daisy?" Conner asked, frustrated. "I have a little sister and you didn't tell me!?"

Charlotte's smile faded, and she handed Daisy to Bob. "I'm really sorry, Conner," she said, and she did sound very sad. "You weren't here, and I didn't have any way to contact you." 

"Still..." Conner said. "She's cute and all, but..." he trailed off. He felt embarrassed saying it, because he only knew Daisy for around five minutes! 

"But what?" Charlotte said in a sad voice. She was afraid he was going to say something she wouldn't like. 

"I can't help but love her."

Charlotte erupted into tears and embraced Conner into a hug. "I wonder what Alex will feel about this." She whispered in his ear.

Conner nodded. He wasn't sure either.