Ch.38

Bree led Claire out of the lake and quietly ran through the forest surrounding it. She made sure it to be extra quiet, if she made any noise, Nimue could find out what she had done. And then, she'd be after Alex and Guinevere, who were now underground holding someone prisoner in the air.

"Where are we going?" Claire asked, a little too loudly for Bree's liking.

"We're going to find your brother," Bree explained. "He's waiting with Merlin, for the signal."

"Chandler?" Claire grinned. "Oh, he's the only one I remember. Please tell me it's him!" she looked up at Bree with such excitement in her eyes, Bree was sad to tell her no.

"I'm sorry." Bree said. "It's not Chandler, its Chance, your closest brother," Bree tried to explain. "He misses you so much, though. I know you'll remember him once you see him."

Claire nodded, still unsure. "Okay, I guess...what's he like?" she was curious to know more about her new life.

"Well," Bree started, "He's the king of The Charming Kingdom. He married Queen Cinderella, and they're still hopelessly in love. They have two baby girls, Hope, who's six, and Destiny, who's just a little child."

Claire beamed. "Aw," she said. "What does Cinder-ella look like?"

"Well, you can just call her Ella, or 'sister'," Bree told the young girl.

Claire smiled. "She must be beautiful, isn't she? My brothers, even if I don't remember them, deserve the best of all girls. She must be pretty talented, huh? What did she do, show up late and leave at midnight?" she laughed.

Bree stared dumbfound, at the young princess. "How did you-"

"How did I what?" Claire asked confusedly. "Is that what really happened?" her eyes began to sparkle. "Oh that's amazing!"

Bree giggled. "I'll let Chance tell you the rest of the story," she said.

****

A few minutes later, Bree and Claire walked down the hill and into the forest, where Merlin's cottage awaits them.

Bree pounded on the door.

Claire wiped her sweaty palms on her tattered blue dress. "I can't do this," she muttered, anxiously pacing around the doorway. "I can't do this!"

Bree smiled softly, and wrapped Claire in a big bear hug. "Don't worry, Claire, you can do this! They're your family and they love you."

Claire found it strange how people she didn't even remember, people she barely knew, loved her. How funny was that?

Claire nodded, just as the door swung open and there stood a small little girl. She was around the age of six, with curly auburn hair and emerald green eyes that sparkled as she looked up at her aunt.

"Mama, it's a girl-and Bree," Hope said, and trudged back into the cottage to get her Mom and Dad.

Claire frowned. "Was that Hope?" she queried, shocked.

"Yup," Bree replied. "I don't know why she seems so agitated; it may be because she's never seen you before? Or because they've been waiting forever to finally meet you."

Claire beamed, just as the door opened again by a woman and man. They looked like the beautiful fairy tale couple, and Claire immediately knew that this was Chance and Ella.

Chance had tears in his eyes as his stared at his younger sister. "Oh my fairy godmother," he murmured. "Is that really you, baby Claire?"

Claire had tears streaming down her face. "Yes, it's me...Chance?"

Chance nodded, embracing Claire in a hug. "Yes Claire, it's me, Chance, your big brother," he sobbed, crying into her shoulder.

Claire began to weep. "I've...I've missed you so much!" she didn't know how much she had missed him until she met him again.

After they had finished hugging, it was Ella's turn to hug her sister in law. "Oh my goodness, Claire, you look so grown up!" she cried silently. "You're such a beautiful young lady!"

Claire laughed through her tears. "Thank you, Cinderella...thank you."

****

Merlin nodded. "Yes, of course I'll be able to make a portal, it will only take a little while," he said.

"Wait one moment," and he returned back into the house, coming back out with a bottle full of red liquid. "Claire, Chance, Ella, Hope, all you have to do is drink this red liquid and return back safely to The Land of Stories, and do you understand?"

Everyone nodded. One by one, the red bottle of liquid was passed around. One by one, they drank a sip from the bottle. After a few seconds, a portal appeared in the middle of the forest.

Bree hugged Claire and said her tearful goodbye, as Claire sobbed into her shoulder. "I don't know why I'm crying," Claire chuckled. "I've only known you for a few hours!"

Bree laughed along. "I know," she said. "I guess we just...clicked."

Claire smiled and nodded.The family walked towards the portal, and one by one, they stepped inside.

When Claire was the only one left, Claire waved goodbye and stepped through the portal.

Bree leaned into the open arms of Merlin, not caring that he was sweaty and tired after the potion.

She cried silently, watching as the portal soon disappeared from view. Bree couldn't believe that she was crying. She had just met this little 12 year old girl a few hours ago. How did she miss her so much?

Bree was crying so much, that they almost didn't hear the signal go off.