Chapter 13

This werewolf, the one that saved my life, was my mate!??? How? Wouldn't I have sensed it in the woods? Speaking of what happened in the woods...
     I lifted my left leg, looked at my foot, and immediately regretted it.
My foot didn't even look like a foot anymore. It was crushed beyond belief. The bones were clearly visible beneath the skin, and they were shattered and broken.
     I dropped my foot back onto the floor, resulting in waves of pain rushing through me.
     The pain was so intense that my vision blacked out for a second, and I felt myself falling backwards.
     The guy-who was apparently my mate-sped over to me, catching me before I slammed onto the hard floor.
     I guess that I voiced the mental groan I made in my head because the man made a worried whimpering noise.
     I forced myself to pull myself out of his yummy arms and sit up, swallowing my feeling of nausea and squeezing my eyes shut to try to will away the sharp pain in my head and the blackness that threatened to cancel out my vision again.
     "Are you ok?"
     Butterflies seemed to flutter around in my stomach at the sound of the man's voice.
     "Yeah. Yeah, I'm ok." I forced myself to rasp.
     "Are you sure?" I looked into his innocently worried eyes and breathed in his scent. It was kinda cinnamon-y, with a hint of peppermint and that really good smelling cologne. I'm pretty sure it was Axe. It was pleasant and the same scent that was on the shirt of his that I was wearing. I never wanted to take it off. I wanted to just sit here in his arms and listen to him talk and-
     HIS SHIRT! WHY WAS I WEARING HIS SHIRT? WHAT HAPPENED!??
     I squirmed away from him, putting a two foot distance between us.
     "What's wrong?" His voice was worried and he sounded hurt.
     I wanted to comfort him and apologize, but I needed to ask him my questions.
     "What happened yesterday?" I demanded.
     Anger flashed through his eyes, and I scooted farther away from him.
     He closed his eyes, took a deep breath, and when he opened his eyes the anger had faded from them.
     When he spoke, his voice was deep and beautiful and soothing and-
     "It made me so angry to see him standing over you like that."
I was touched. He barely even knew me and he was already so protective of me.
I went to scoot closer to him, but the feeling of my foot dragging on the wood floor was unbearably painful.
I let out a high pitched whine, which he responded to immediately.
"What's wrong? Are you ok?"
He sniffed, and followed the scent of point to my mangled foot. He reached over, and I responded by ducking my head and gritting my teeth, waiting for the pain. But it never came.
I felt rough yet very gentle fingers caressed my calf, wandering around the top of the site of pain.
I dared to turn and glance at him, and the concern and sadness was heartbreakingly touching.
All of a sudden, I was in his arms, and I let out a surprised yelp.
He grinned down at me, but the concern remained in his beautiful eyes.
He carried me out of the huge room, into a long and ancient-looking hallway.
"Where are we going?" I asked.
"We're going to my clinic." Was his response.
HIS CLINIC?? What did he mean by that?
"Y-your c-clinic?" Gee, he must think that I'm amazingly articulate right now. I'm sure he's astounded.
This time when he smiled down at me, it was completely gorgeous and was partly a smirk.
"What, did you not know that I was a multi-billionaire?"