In The Doorway

Just tell her.

Faith and I walk along the sidewalk to my apartment building like we've done for the past few times we've seen each other.

It's not like she'll be offended by it. Or, at least I hope she won't be. I just think it would be better if she knew. That way everything could be out in the open.

I look over at Faith as we walk and I know I have to tell her.

"Faith?"

Our eyes meet while we continue.

"Yeah?"

"You umm... you know, you don't have to walk me home. I can go on my own."

She smiles at me.

"Of course you can. But I like following you home. It gives us a chance to talk without having to shout over the music sometimes."

Her comment makes me chuckle.

"Yeah, I guess it is better this way."

Hmm, now that's an idea.

"Well, if you want, we can go some place else next time."

Suddenly I'm very nervous about my next sentence.

"Like, um... I dunno. We could go to a movie or something. Or eat at a restaurant... maybe."

She doesn't say anything for a second. The fact of it kinda bothers me, like my whole life depends on what she says.

Is this how it's supposed to feel?

"Sure, sounds like fun."

It does?

A warm happy feeling comes over me when she says she'd like to.

"It's a date."

Wait, what? Did she... did she just call us going to the movies or something a date? Does she mean like, an actual date? Is it a 'date' date, or just a date to go and see a movie together? As friends or as something other than friends? Okay, gotta calm down. Just play it cool.

"All right, cool."

We turn up the path to the apartment building.

We should make a time to go.

"There's a theatre down on Farley Street I think. How about we take in a show on Tuesday?"

I'm sure we can find something worth seeing. There are a few movies out now that I'd like to see.

"I could go for that."

Faith and I smile at each other as we make it up to the front door of the building. I stop, so she does too. However she looks a little confused by my sudden stop. She faces me.

"You okay?"

"Yeah, I am. I just, think we should part ways here."

Her confusion gets a little more evident.

"Why's that?"

Because if we get any closer to my front door, I'm probably going to ask her to come to my room. And I'm not really ready for something like that. Not that I know she'd accept, but everything's still too new for me to take that step.

"I just figure you wanna get out on patrol or something."

"Well, I was planning on it."

"Then don't let me keep you. I'm sure there are lots of vamps and demons out there looking for a slayer to be killed by you."