Identity

Mack's head rested on Barry's shoulder. His arm around her shoulders and torso. They sat on his couch under a blanket in the dark, the light from the TV screen occasionally lighting up their faces. The Sound of Music was playing on the screen.

"Mack?" Barry said softly

"Yeah Barr" She turned her head slightly to look up at him.

"Don't you ever worry?" He asked awkwardly. Mack furrowed her eyebrows, confused. She could tell that this wasn't really what he meant to ask, and allowed her silence to persuade him to continue his train of thought.

"I guess I just feel like you take everything in stride, and I don't know how to do that. I don't know how you do that. I'd be going crazy right now if I was you" Barry said finally. Mack frowned as she thought of an answer.

"Well, I've had a lot of experience having to take things as they are. I guess it's just who I am" Mackenzie replied, turning to watch the film once again.

There was only a moment of silence before Barry spoke again.

"Mack?" His voice sounded like that of a small child who had nervously wandered into his mother's room after waking up from a bad dream in the middle of the night.

"Hm?" Mack hummed in response, intertwining and un-intertwining Barry's fingers with her own over and over again.

"I really like you Mackenzie. I'm going to do everything I can to help you" Barry said softly, carefully. Mack almost laughed at his hesitancy. He was always so nervous around her, and she thought it's sweet.

"I'm going to be okay Barry," Mack chuckled softly, "And I really like you too, a lot, I just don't want to mess this up either " She muttered.

"Trust me, you won't" Barry chuckled back. He was amused that Mackenzie thought she could push him away.

"I tried killing you. Twice" Mack frowned up at him.

"Does it look like I'm going anywhere?" Barry smirked down at her.

Mack sat up suddenly and furrowed her eyebrows at Barry, reading him like an open book.

"Why? I mean there are plenty of perfectly beautiful and normal and sweet girls here. I mean look at Iris, she's nearly perfec-"

Barry had tuned her words out at this point and settled for simply observing her. She looked so cute when she was confused or wary. Finally, Barry put his hand on the side of Mackenzie's face and kissed her gently. He pulled away slowly.

"Mackenzie Elizabeth Carter" Mack sighed aggressively and rolled her eyes at Barry's use of her full name, "I know that your life isn't ever easy, I do. And that this, us, might not be easy, but I don't care. You're going to need to do a hell of a lot more than take a few jabs at my life to make me go away" Barry smiled.

"You're impossible Bartholomew Henry Allen" Mack sighed and shook her head, feigning disappointment.

"Oh is that so?" Barry laughed, pulling back away from her.

"Yeah, simply impossible. Whatever shall I do with you Allen?" Mack asked matter of factly, trying to keep a straight face.

"I have a few ideas" Barry chuckled as Mack punched him in the arm, growling.

"You're stupid, you know that right?" Mack narrowed her eyes at the boy, arms crossed defensively over her chest.

"Yes" Barry chuckled, "You know you're stubborn, right?" He retorted