Final Chapter

Mackenzie tried to gain control of herself in her cell. But the voice in her head cackled relentlessly. She spoke so quickly that her threats, coaxes, and guilt-trips melded into a soft, humming lullaby that was working to carry Mack away, despite her attempts to stay grounded. Words kept jumping out at her and her vision was blurry. She thought she was going to be sick when she felt the unfortunately familiar sense of power and electricity running through her veins and enveloping her every atom. She fought against it, slamming herself into the walls and glass as she did so, trying desperately to ride herself of the voice. Across the door, at every thud, Barry was breaking a little bit more.

"GO AWAY!" Mackenzie's strangled and desperate scream came from the cell.

On the other side of the door, Barry couldn't take it anymore. He couldn't stand to hear her in so much pain. He threw everything he had at those damn doors, but to no avail.

"Mackenzie!" He cried, but she couldn't hear him.

Mackenzie screamed, tears streaming down her cheeks as her knees gave out and she collapsed onto the floor. She felt a twisting and tightening in her stomach and abdominals as she spat blood, sputtering again as she felt her airways close.

"Mackenzie..." With one last pound on the door, Barry collapsed, sobbing. He couldn't even see her in her last moments. She will have died alone and in pain, suffering, believing that he had just abandoned her, and Barry didn't think he would ever be able to live with himself for it.

And then it was dark.

A blackout.

It was as if the lights went with her, as did Barry's heart.

"I'm so sorry"

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

Caitlin was the first to find her.

Iris had shown up just as the power had gone out, and had gone down to find Barry and Cisco.

At the sight of the two crying, her stomach dropped.

"No... No she can't... She can't be..." But she didn't even have to finish her sentence.

Barry was gone in a red flash. Iris sighed as she walked over to Cisco, helped him up, and helped carry him all the way back to the Cortex.

When she had heard the news, Cait had plowed past Cisco and down into the pipeline.
Mack was the strongest girl she knew, there was no way some stupid gene sequence had killed her. It was impossible. But everything changed when she opened the door to find her best friend lying on the floor of a cell.

Blood surrounded her head and had caught in her hair, her face was stark and pale from lack of oxygen. But worst of all were her eyes: wide open, glowing blue, staring dead ahead, frozen.

Caitlin screamed.

Wells was there in an almost impossible amount of time, hushing the young scientist and guiding her away from the scene. Caitlin couldn't stop crying and staring, as if it might go away and this might all be a dream. She allowed herself to be dragged back up into the Cortex with the others, where she threw herself into Cisco and cried.

When Caitlin and Cisco finally went back to the pipeline, Mack was gone. There wasn't even blood left.

Caitlin broke down and cried again.

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

After unsuccessfully trying to break out, Mackenzie sighed. She was lightheaded and simply couldn't think straight. Where was she? What was the last thing that happened to her? Why couldn't she remember?

"What did you do to me?" Mack asked him once again, pressing her hands against the glass.

She was being contained in a glass cube. She was dazed. Confused.

"I fixed you Miss Carter" Wells wheeled over to her.

"What does that mean, Wells?" Mack demanded

"I didn't want it to come to this..." He sighed, "I figured out how to remove the radiometa gene early on in the research process, but it required the removal of the entire meta gene. You were such a good candidate; a perfect one, actually. It was such a shame to lose you. But we must press on" Wells explained absent-mindedly. Mack's brain simply couldn't process anything.

"What does that mean?" Mack asked hesitantly

"You're completely, utterly human Ms Carter. No 'meta' involved" Wells spoke clearly. She looked around and didn't recognize the lab they were in. Frowning, she shook her head and turned to Wells.

"I have to see Barry"

It was all she knew for sure. She needed to see him right now.

"Well that's the thing Ms Carter, your life comes at a price" Wells said gravely.

"Wells..." Mackenzie replied hesitantly

"We aren't in Central City Mackenzie. And you can't go back. You have to promise you won't go back" Wells said calmly. 

Suddenly something snapped in her head.

"Where the hell are we Wells?? Why can't I go home?" Mackenzie's breathing became more rapid.

Not go home? Not see Barry or Caitlin or Cisco or Joe or Iris ever again? She didn't think so. She couldn't leave them. She might have been drugged up, but that she could understand.

She just wanted Barry to wake her and tell her this was all a bad dream.

"We're in Australia Miss Carter. And I need you to do something for me"

The End

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

HEY YALLLLLLLL!!! That's it! That's the end of book one!

But...

IM MAKIN A SEQUEL!!!

Can you believe it?!

Me?! Following through with an idea?! Making a sequel?!

Me neither! But it's happening!

 Hurricane {Book Two} is coming to my profile soooooon! ❤️

I think I'm gonna rename book one also. 'The Murderess' doesn't really fit.

Thank you all for your support! I love y'all so much!

xoxo Isa <3