Chapter 1: We Have To Stop Meeting Like This

Circa April 1996

[Kat]

"Steph, wait up!" I sighed as my younger sister, Stephanie, faded out of sight. She was in a hurry to get back to our hotel room, order room service, and watch dumb late night television shows.  I wasn't sure why she didn't just wait for me... I had the car keys anyway, it wasn't like she could drive off.

I turned the corner, trying to catch up before she started whining about how slow I was. That particular episode of Monday Night Raw felt like it had lasted an eon, and I was just as ready to get all snug under my blankets.

I cut the corner too fast and rammed right into someone's chest. I would have fallen flat on my back, but he caught my hand and held me up.

"Sorry! My sister--I didn't mean--thank you--" I couldn't think fast enough for my mouth.

"Don't worry about it," he told me. When I looked up, my body froze. Shawn Michaels was the wrestler I had the biggest crush on, the one I'd just gushed to Stephanie about merely hours earlier. Here he was inches from me, staring right at me, holding my hand in his.

I took my hand back, maybe a little too quickly. "I, uh, gotta go..." I trailed off awkwardly. I felt blood rushing into my cheeks.

"Right. Your sister."

I nodded wordlessly and rushed around him with my head down. As soon as I got out of his line of sight, I took off into a run.

I couldn't hide my blush any longer; my face was bright red. I panicked. Had I made a fool of myself? What was I wearing? I looked down to find old hand-me-down clothes I hadn't bothered to change out of that morning. I was mortified. How was I supposed to know I'd be running into my crush?

Stephanie was lounging cross-legged on the hood of my car when I entered the lot. It was a white Cadillac  DeVille, which Dad had gifted to me after my high school graduation. "What took you so long?"

"Nothing," I replied quickly, dodging the question. I needed to calm down first, before I started blabbing about the whole ordeal. All I would receive in return would be constant teasing, and I didn't need any more embarassment. "Get down, you dork. Let's go, before I leave you here."

***

The next week at Raw, I sat backstage with Stephanie as we watched the show. We were hanging out in Dad's office, but he was at the Gorilla Position, so it was just the two of us. This was often the case. Dad always had important business to oversee, but we liked to attend the shows anyway.

Just in case I had another once in a lifetime meeting with Shawn, I made sure to wear my new sundress and not smudge the makeup I had so carefully applied. Stephanie asked me why I had gotten all dolled up, as it was obvious I was trying too hard.

"I just wanted to look nice," I lied. She didn't buy it. I couldn't lie to Steph; she knew me too well. The two of us had been attached at the hip since she was born.

"Mhm," she replied. "Does it have something to do with your 'nothing' from last week? Is it a boy? It's so a boy." My sister, unfortunately, could read me like a book.

"It's not a boy," I retorted. I couldn't have her telling Dad accidentally. He would kill me if he thought I was flirting around with the talent. "I like to dress up, that's all."

Besides, he wasn't a boy. He was a man.

Eventually I excused myself to use the bathroom. I did have to go, but I also just wanted the opportunity to run into him again. It was a crazy, stupid idea, but I needed some sort of excitement in my life.