Chapter 13: Did You And Shawn...?

-----
Kat's POV
-----

The first thing I felt in the morning was someone shaking me gently. I opened my eyes the smallest bit to see Paul hovering over me, holding a finger to his lips. He motioned to Shawn, who was still sleeping. I nodded, slipping out of his grip and standing up.

"What's the matter?" I whispered, stretching my arms out up above my head.

"I was wondering if you wanted to come work out with me. You want to start training, right?" he asked. We had to keep our voices low so we wouldn't wake Shawn.

I nodded. "Give me five minutes!" I excitedly rummaged through my bag for workout clothes before retreating to the bathroom.

When I emerged, five minutes later on the dot, I was in yoga pants and a lilac tank top, with my hair pulled up out of my face. The clock read 7:06, which was pretty early. I was awake and ready to go though, despite having gone to bed late.

I followed Paul into the hallway. We grabbed a few water bottles from the vending machine before shuffling into the elevator.

"So..." Paul scratched his head, trying to start conversation. "I'm not gonna lie, I did a double take when I looked over and saw you this morning. I just need to know... Did you and Shawn...?" he left the question open-ended, but I knew exactly what he was asking.

"No!" I laughed. "No, we just slept."

"Thank God," he breathed a sigh of relief. "I mean, do whatever the fuck you want, just not when I'm across the room. Can you imagine if you two were, and I woke up?"

"I would die of embarassment!" I exclaimed. I could feel heat rushing to my cheeks just thinking about it. "Ugh, the thought makes my skin crawl. I promise you, Paul, I will never put myself in a position where that could happen," I assured him, unable to keep from laughing.

He couldn't help it either. "Again I say, thank God!"

The elevator stopped on the first floor and the two of us tried to compose ourselves before walking out. This hotel supposedly had a gym in the basement. Paul had told us about it the night before, right before stumbling up the stairs "for the training", instead of riding the elevator. My personal theory was that he honestly just couldn't see straight because he'd barely slept in two days.

We did walk down the last set of stairs to the basement, which wasn't bad. But I knew they'd be hell to get up once we were done.

Paul showed me how to lift weights. He was super into all this body-building stuff. He knew about fifty different ways to use one weight. My small frame probably would have been more suited to a crosstraining workout or maybe cardio, but Paul managed to find a way to make lifting work out for me. It was damn tough, but once we were done, I felt so good about myself. I was finally starting training; messing around with Shawn didn't count.

I chugged an entire bottle of water before walking over to where he was already waiting for me. He was sweating like crazy, and I was too. He had obviously been doing a much more difficult workout than me, but he was also more in shape.

"Do you feel bad that didn't wake Shawn?" I asked, mostly out of breath.

He shrugged. "He'll come down here later. Did he take any pills last night?"

He had. He'd tried to hide them from me, but I was bound to notice. I nodded at Paul. "I don't know how many. A couple, maybe."

"Oh well. He'll be out for a while longer regardless," he answered, standing up and offering me a hand off the ground. "Just don't wake him when we go back up, because trust me, it's just a bad idea. He can be a real bitch in the morning."

I nodded and we headed back to the room, trudging up those god forsaken staircases.

***

Shawn did eventually wake up and head downstairs to work out, like Paul had said. Once he got cleaned up we went out to eat before arriving at the arena.

Shawn and I walked hand in hand through the backstage area, with Paul on my other side. They mostly talked over me about whatever, but I chimed in occasionally. I wasn't sure where we were going, because I couldn't figure out directions for the life of me, but the boys knew where they were headed. At least that's what I assumed.

Steph found us wandering around and rushed over, smiling from ear to ear. "Excuse me, can I borrow my sister for a minute? Thanks!" She latched onto my hand and began pulling me away. I had to let go of Shawn quickly so I wouldn't be torn in half.

Steph dragged me all the way to the women's locker room. When we finally stopped, I had to catch my breath from surpise and laughter. "Steph, what are you doing?" I giggled.

She engulfed me in a hug. "I've missed you!" She pulled away faster than I would have liked. "But I can never talk to you because you're always with Shawn," she made what I assumed were supposed to be mocking googly-eyes.

"Hey! You know what, when you're in love, you'll understand," I told her.

She hesitated. "So you're in love?" she prodded.

I sat down against the wall. Steph did the same, copying me. She and I were the only ones in the locker room that early, thankfully.

I didn't know how to explain to her. I hadn't really said it out loud, other than to Shawn. "Yeah. I mean, yes. I am." I blushed as I fell back into my tell-Steph-everything mode. "We're actually sleeping in the same bed now."

She gasped loudly. I had the urge to cover her mouth, before remembering we were alone and there was no need. "Oh my god! Did you two have sex?"

"No! And so what if we did? Why would I tell you? You might tell Shane on me," I teased. But there was some truth behind the words. I wasn't sure if I could trust Steph with my secrets anymore.

She groaned and drew up her knees closer to her body. "Please don't throw that in my face. You called me crying; I thought you were hurt. I honestly didn't think he'd get that mad... At least I didn't tell Dad."

I giggled again. "True. You do get points for that. Did you hear Shane punched Shawn in the nose?"

She shook her head, seemingly shocked. "Oh God, he didn't."

"He did." I confirmed. "But Shawn's fine. Besides, he pretty much deserved it. And... thank you, Steph. For calling Shane and all that." I gave her a small smile. "You always know what I need, even when I don't."

I initiated the hug this time, and I didn't let go for a long while. It felt beyond good to have my sister and best friend by my side again. Steph had always been there for me, ever since we were teeny babies. She was my everything at some points in my life. We really needed to start calling each other every night just so I could hear her voice before I went to bed.

"I love you, Kat," she whispered.

I smiled widely. Now I was the one who was noticeably excited. "I love you too."

Once in my freshman year of high school, I met this guy who offered to take me and Steph home. I saw no problem with it, but Steph absolutely refused to get in the car, or let me get in the car. She told Dad about it as soon as we got home. I was so mad at her for making a big deal out of nothing, I didn't talk to her for the rest of the night. The next day, Dad told us a girl in my class had gone missing, and the last place she was seen was getting into the car with that same guy. From that moment on I stopped doing two things: accepting rides, and not trusting Steph's judgement.

What would I do without my little sister?

-A/N-
I need more cute Kat/Steph moments in my life, I've decided. They're killing me with all this cuteness😍