Chapter 34: You're Such a Tease

-----
Kat's POV
-----

I had just barely opened the door, and before I knew it I was being lifted up into the air and spun around. Something seemed to falter, however, as I was put down rather quickly and a bit unceremoniously. Before I could ask what was wrong, Shawn was already attacking my face with kisses. I giggled at how clingy he was. I had missed him too. I pulled him into a long, slow kiss as I wrapped my arms around his neck.

When we broke away, I had to ask. "Am I that heavy?" I joked. "I can see me putting on a few pounds because I haven't been doing anything, but I didn't think it was that much." He seemed confused, so I added, "You nearly dropped me."

He waved it away. "My knee has been acting up. Don't worry about it."

We stayed in the position we were in as we talked. My hands hadn't moved, but his had wrapped around my waist, pulling me even closer.

"Is it bad?" I was concerned for him. But it wasn't like he would have told me if it really was bad.

He just shooed the thought away again. "It comes and goes. I can't feel it anyway." Of course.

My brow furrowed. "You should go see a doctor. You could be seriously hurt, and if you keep wrestling on it you are only going to make it worse."

He sighed, knowing I was right. He leaned his forehead against mine. "Fine, I'll see a doctor." He knew this was an argument he would eventually lose anyway. "But for right now, the only injured one I'm worried about is you. Are you ready to go?"

I had been ready for days. I couldn't wait to be spending a couple days with Shawn and his family. "Sarah and Kyle have been super nice and all, but between you and me, please get me out of here," I whispered.

He chuckled but agreed. We finally separated, and I immediately felt colder. I missed all the attention and affection I was used to from him.

Sarah was working, but we bade goodbye to Kyle and little Ellie. I loved that little girl. She made me want to have my own.

I slept through most of the way to Shawn's parents' place. I just couldn't stay awake. Lately I was taking a lot of naps. I was sure my doctor would be proud of how much I was resting. Not that I was hating getting so much sleep, but I did kind of miss staying up for hours with the boys on our terrible schedule.

Shawn shook me awake when we were in front of the house. I was confused for a minute; I didn't even remember getting off the plane.

I yawned, finding it difficult to stretch in the tiny rental. I was sure Shawn had told me what happened to my car, but I couldn't remember. It was probably junked. It was a sad thought; that had been a gift from Dad for graduating.

I was still trying to shake myself awake as we stood on the doorstep.

Shawn gave me a glance after I nearly stumbled. "Are you okay?"

I nodded. "I'm fine," I assured him with a smile. My rib was already throbbing from all the movement and my head threatened to not be too far behind. I was sure Shawn could see through me, but luckily he went with it. There was no way I was not going to enjoy the day.

We were welcomed in with open arms, literally. I found myself being hugged by people I hadn't even met. But I guess they did know me, in a way. Between Shawn and seeing me on TV, I was sure they very much knew me.

Shawn wrapped an arm around an older woman that I had assumed was his mother. "This is Mama. She gets the credit for making me who I am today." He smiled. Genuinely smiled. "Mama, this is Katherine."