Chapter 9: You Want A War? You Got One

May 27, 1996

I sat on one of the gray couches that came with the small room Paul, Shawn, and I had claimed as our locker room. No one wanted us anywhere else, so we usually kept to the three of us. Now that there were only three of us.  I had Kev on the phone and WCW playing on the small box TV that I'd found.

"Where are the guys?" Kev asked.

"Around," I replied. I was eating a salad I had stolen from catering. Typically I didn't eat catering food, but I didn't have time to go get dinner. "Paul already had a match tonight. He's probably still getting his ass chewed about the other day. And Shawn... well, you know how that goes."

He chuckled from the other end. "Yeah, sounds about right. I'm backstage here and let me just say, they do not like us too well."

I switched the phone to speaker phone and set it on the table so I could eat easier. "Why not?"

"I don't know, Kat. It's just... different. Like we're invading them or something. I'm pretty sure at least half of these fucktards are convinced Vince sent us here to fuck shit up."

"You're like... outsiders," I joked. "Don't worry, no one likes us up here, either."

He laughed again. "I guess you're right. Hey, are you watching?"

"Of course I am! Where's Scott?"

"He's already waiting for his cue," Kev answered.

"Damn. I wanted to wish him good luck," I pouted.

"I'll let him know when he gets back," Kev assured me.

Paul entered the room quietly. "Who are you talking to?"

"Is that Paul?"

"Kev's on the phone. Paul say hello," I told them. I pushed my empty bowl away. "It's back!"

"Welcome back live to the first hour of this edition of WCW Monday Nitro on TNT. Tony Shivone, Larry Zybisko, and we are taking a look at The Mauler completely maul his opponent, Steve Doll." The TV announced.

"How are you guys?" Paul asked, taking a seat beside me.

"You know, we're--"

I squealed, shushing them. "Shhh! There's Scott!"

Shawn walked in at that moment. Before he could even say anything, I waved him over. "Scott's on!" He walked over and lifted me up, before sitting in my place and resting me on his lap.

Scott had made his way into the ring, mic in hand. The wrestlers, who had just a second ago been, well, wrestling, were gone.

"Hey. You people... you know who I am. But you don't know why I'm here. Where's Billionaire Ted? Where's the Nacho Man? That punk can't even get in the building. Me? I go where I want, when I want. And where, oh, where is Scheme Gene, cause I got a scoop for you. When that Ken Doll lookalike, when that weatherman wannabe comes out here later tonight, I've got a challenge for him, for Billionaire Ted, for the Nacho Man, and for anybody else here in WCW," he made a mocking noise that made us all laugh, "that thinks they got what it takes. Hey, you wanna go to war? You want a war? You got one."