Chapter 18: There Is No One Better Than Elvis

-----
Shawn's POV
-----

"You've got to be kidding. There is no one better than Elvis," I explained, gesturing to prove my point.

Kat rolled her eyes. "You love that man more than you love me."

"One: true," I replied, "and two: what about you and Jackie Kennedy? If we want to talk weird celebrity obsessions--which, by the way, my admiration of Elvis Presley is definitely not an obsession--we have to bring up yours."

She giggled at me. When she laughed her nose crinkled in the cute way it always did. "You literally have them announce 'Shawn Michaels has left the building', which, if I'm not mistaken, is a nod to your man crush."

"My what?"

Kat tossed her curls out of her face as she bounced along beside me. "You're completely in love with him, just admit it." She was relentless with her teasing. Man, she took that shit seriously.

"God, will you two just get a room?" Paul cut in. He acted annoyed, but we knew he was joking around with us.

"Actually, we have a room. We just left. You were there, remember?" I answered sarcastically.

I was very aware of Kat's hand in mine as we walked around backstage. I didn't really know where we were headed, but I didn't care.

Stephanie found us, like she typically did. That girl could sniff us out from a mile away. She gave Kat a hug, greeted me with zero intimidation whatsoever (something I admired her for), and said hello to Paul. She kind of blushed when Paul looked her way. I smiled as I realized she was probably crushing on him.

Stephanie took her spot beside Kat and followed us. "How are you guys?"

"Same old, same old," I told her.

Kat squeezed my hand a bit tighter. "We're great." I could hear the smile in her voice without even looking at her. She was smiling all the time lately. It made me happy.

"You definitely seem different," Stephanie said. She was looking at Kat and I as she thought about it. I could practically see the wheels turning in her head.

I grinned and let go of Kat's hand, just so I could slide my arm around her waist and pull her closer. "Different how?" I asked, humoring her.

Kat started blushing like she was embarassed. Her face got redder as Stephanie eyed us. I looked the young woman right in the eye. She didn't break the eye contact until I did.

Stephanie was definitely more strong-willed than my girl.

She suddenly gasped and made a sound that I was pretty sure was what a strangled cat sounds like. "You two--you did! Didn't you? You totally did!" Her words were coming out as nonsense, but somehow we all knew what she meant.

Kat excused herself and her sister and pulled Stephanie with her into the closest ladies' room to talk. The entire scene made me laugh. I couldn't help always being amused by Kat's shyness. It used to bother me, but over time I learned that's just the way Kat was. She didn't like PDA all that much. She believed in keeping private life... private. I respected that.

Okay, so maybe I tried to push it sometimes... okay, all the time, but I respected the idea.

Paul and I dropped our stuff off in the locker room and I headed to a quiet corner to call Kev. I figured it to be an opportune time, before I needed to get ready.

"What do you want, Shawn?" came Kev's greeting.

"Someone's grumpy."

"You woke me. If you called to whine, I don't want to hear it," he answered.

I fake gasped. "When have I ever called you to complain?"

"About 53 times this week," he replied.

"I will have you know I've only called you four times this week, which I personally consider to be an average amount of time to talk to one of your closest friends," I declared. I was laying the sarcasm and dramatics on thick.

His laughter came booming through the phone. "It's only Monday, Shawn."

So maybe I did call Kev a lot to rant. So what?

"Well seeing as you're my best friend and you're always there for me and--"

Kev sighed on the other end. "Cut the crap. What do you want?"

"I need a favor."

"Yeah?"

"Do you know any good jewelers?"

***
-----
Kat's POV
-----

Steph squealed again, louder this time, as I dragged her into the bathroom. It was not unlike a few weeks before when she'd pulled me into the locker room.

"You! And Shawn! I knew it! Oh my God, I knew it! You have to tell me everything!" she exclaimed.

"I will not!" There was no way I was explaining everything to Steph.

"C'mon! What was it like?"

I squirmed as she grabbed hold of my shoulders. I was in no way comfortable with any portion of this conversation.

"It was... amazing. And Shawn and I are... happy." I smiled. "And I love him. And that's all I'm telling you."

"You evil little vixen!" she complained. "Damn you for being so introverted." She released my shoulders and backed up.

"Damn you for being so outspoken. Those are big words coming from you," I jokingly scolded.

"Kat, I'm a year younger than you. Can you stop pretending I'm twelve?"

I gave her a playful smirk. "When you stop acting like you're twelve."

She pinched me and I immediately gave up, knowing a fight between us--playful or not--always ended badly. I'd broken two bones in our junior high and high school years fighting with Steph. Oh, and she was a hair-puller for sure.

"I do not," she declared, crossing her arms.

"Really? Making puppy dog eyes at Paul, having a staring contest with Shawn..."

"He started it!" she exclaimed.

I just gave her a look that said, "see?". She pretty much just proved my point.

She sighed. "Fine."

It definitely wasn't lost on me that she blatantly ignored my comment about Paul. "And what about Paul?"

"What about him?" she feigned ignorance and pretended she didn't know what I was talking about. But I could see the heat in her cheeks and the shuffling of her feet.

"You can barely look at him, and every time you do, you look at him like this." I imitated her, fluttering my eyes dramatically.

"I so don't."

"You so do!"

"Whatever." Steph brushed it off, avoiding the situation. Her avoidance was a definite sign she had a crush.

"Steph and Paul sitting in a tree..." I trailed off, teasing.

"Who's acting twelve now?"

I laughed, which made her start laughing too.

Steph was the best, no matter if she did act like she was twelve.

-----
-A/N-
What is Shawn planning??👀👀👀