Chapter 55: I Can't Do This Anymore

[Kat]

Today was the day. Wrestlemania.

There was no more dancing around with the, "maybe he will"/"maybe he won't". It was time to work, and if Shawn backed out, there was no show.

Needless to say, we were trying our best to make sure that didn't happen.

I hated that everyone was waiting on him like servants, because it only encouraged him. I understood our main goal, but I also understood how Shawn's mind worked. This was exactly what he wanted.

Still, I couldn't just leave him. I stayed by his side, like I always did.

Shawn laid on the floor, staring up at the ceiling. I could tell he was in pain, but there wasn't much I could do for him. He needed surgery, not to be out there wrestling. His match was definitely not going to be good for his health.

I sat on my knees beside him to keep him company. My fingers ran through his hair, keeping it out of his face.

"I'm not doing it," he grumbled. He was especially cranky all day because his back was acting up.

"You have to," I reminded him gently. "You made a promise to a lot of people."

"Well, fuck promises. I'm not going out there." He sat up quickly, knocking my hand out of the way. "They'll have to do the show without me."

"They can't. We've built up this whole angle between you and Steve. All you have to do is this one match, and then you're done." It still sounded so surreal that Shawn's career was over in just a few hours.

"I don't want to do it."

"It's one match. You'll be okay."

His face twisted in pain and he turned almost childlike. "Kat, it hurts," he whined. It hurt me to see him like that.

He laid back down, resting his head in my lap. This was scared, hopeless Shawn. I liked him better than angry Shawn, but he made me feel such a deep sadness.

Shawn didn't need to feel so alone, when I was right there.

I ran my hands through his hair again, trying to provide some kind of comfort. "I know it does, baby. But this is what you wanted to do."

He didn't admit that he made a wrong decision, just nodded.

When Paul walked in, he mouthed to me, "how is he?". I shrugged.

He wasn't better, but he wasn't worse. As long as he was going to work the match, we were in business.

We weren't even sure if that would happen at this point. He kept going back and forth.

"Hey." Paul took a seat on the floor as well. "I have the final details for the end of the match. Do you want to hear it?"

The question wasn't directed at me, but I nodded. Shawn was busy trying not to cramp up.

Paul told us about the finish and our exit. He was the only one of us actually doing work; he attended the meeting Shawn and I were supposed to go to.

"I don't want Tyson to lay the shirt over me. It's overkill," Shawn complained. All he had done all day was bitch.

"Got it," Paul said, ready to go negotiate. I gave him a pleading look. If things didn't go the way Shawn was hoping, it wasn't going to fun for any of us.

He nodded to me and left Shawn and I alone again.

"You're going to have to get ready soon," I told him.