Chapter 40: Kayfabe Is Dead

-----
Shawn's POV
-----

"That didn't happen," Kat said.

"Yes it did! I was there!" I defended.

Paul wasn't sure which of us to believe. I was telling the absolutely fantastic story of how Kat tripped over literal air, but she was denying it.

"I don't remember," she replied.

"It was before your concussion! You're not allowed to use that excuse."

"It's not an excuse." She stuck her tongue out at me. "It's a valid statement."

"You only 'forgot' because you're embarrassed about it," I shot back. "C'mon, Paul, you know that's something she would do."

He thought about it for a second. "Well, I have seen you trip over a lot of things," he told Kat. He turned to me, "But then, I've also heard you fabricate a lot of stories."

"I do not make things up!" I argued. "If I had a camera, I would have recorded it. But, since I didn't, you're just going to have to believe in me."

Paul chuckled. "I'm not sure if I do."

"Thank you!" Kat smiled victoriously.

I pointed a finger at her. "Hey, you didn't win. He didn't say he believed you either."

"Well..."

"Paul! You would betray me like that?" I asked. "Some best friend you are." I couldn't believe he would stab me in the back like that.

"Hey," he said, "it isn't my fault you're a liar."

"I'm not lying!" I complained. I looked over at Kat. "Damn you for being so innocent. You can convince anyone."

She just sent me a grin. There was no way I could be mad; she was adorable.

We were just hanging out at some place, having drinks and shooting the shit. We didn't have much to do that day, so Kat practically begged us to go out. She had a little cabin fever since she'd been back on the road, from all the time she spent cooped up.

By "drinks", I really just meant me. Paul wasn't drinking, per usual, and Kat had a chocolate milkshake. Which she was very excited about.

"Fine, you win," I sighed. Kat always won. She always would, as far as I was concerned.

She took a sip of her milkshake, still with that little smile on her face. "That's what you get for making up stories about me."

"I did not make it up!" I said again, but it was no use. She was giggling so hard I thought she was going to fall out of her chair.

I lived for small moments like that. Just me, my best friend, and my girl. It was perfect.

At one point, an idea started forming in my head. "What if we started a kayfabe group? The three of us," I suggested.

"Kayfabe's dead," Kat joked.

Paul laughed along. "We killed it, remember?"

I waved off their teasing manner. "Look, you know what I mean. Our own on-screen stable. I'm serious." They still seemed to think I was messing around, or possibly drunk already. "We could, I don't know, have you guys as my 'insurance policy' like we did with Kev. And maybe we could goof off and just be us, you know?"

Kat warmed up to the idea quickly. Probably just because she always had my back. "Sounds fun to me. What do you mean, 'be us'?"

"I don't really know," I admitted. "We're... you know, idiots." Paul laughed at that. "Shut up, you get what I'm trying to say. We could be funny and loud and..." Goddammit. For the life of me, I could not find any other words. "Us!"