Chapter 24: Wherever I Damn Well Please

-----
Shawn's POV
-----

I was waiting on Kat to get ready. She was done with her hair and makeup by now, she just couldn't decide on what to wear. I sat on the edge of the bed with my chin resting in my hands as she modeled for me.

She came out of the bathroom this time in a modest dark red dress. It looked beautiful on her, just like the first five.

"What do you think?" She asked, spinning in a circle. This one looked warmer than the others, with long sleeves. It didn't make much of a difference to me. She looked great in all of them.

"It looks fine," I told her.

From her face, I could immediately tell that was a mistake. "Just fine?" She turned to look in the mirror, apparently looking for the flaw in it.

I stifled a groan as I stood, breaking the space between us in a couple steps. "Kat, you look great. You look great in all of them." I wrapped my arms around her from behind, both of us staring into the mirror now.

She sighed. "I'm sorry. I'm just worried about what my family is going to think."

"Why would they care?"

"My parents are... judgy," she explained. "Most of the time, Mom will just turn up her nose if she doesn't like what I'm wearing. Which is all the time."

"Who cares what your parents think? It's not their business. I think you look gorgeous." I turned my head to give her a kiss on the cheek. "I like this one, and you can wear your little black jacket thingy with it."

"My shawl?" she giggled.

"Yeah, that thing." I brought it over to her and wrapped it around her shoulders. Stunning, like always. "There."

She looked long and hard into the mirror before finally letting out a deep breath. "I guess it's this or nothing."

I cracked a smile. "Personally, I think you'd look better with nothing."

She just shook her head at me as she grabbed her shoes. They were flats, I made sure. "Oh, you would think that."

"We can pick up your things today while we're there. We'll drop them off at my place--our place tomorrow," I suggested.

"I already called Steph, she said she'd box up my clothes and a few other things." Of course, she was always one step ahead.

We settled into her car. She didn't seem to keen on driving, with the way her hands were shaking, so I took the wheel. She started fiddling with the end of her shawl thing to calm her nerves.

With my free hand, I held one of hers. I wanted to help, but I wasn't really sure how. She had been fussing over this night for weeks, and now it was here.

"I can always just turn around," I told her. "We don't have to go. We can go pick up Paul and have Thanksgiving with just us." That didn't actually sound too bad to me.

She sighed. "Unfortunately, we have to go. But who knows, maybe it won't be that bad."

"I still think you're getting all worked up over nothing."

"A McMahon family holiday is an ordeal within itself, but here I am inviting a boy into the belly of the beast. I just don't know what's going to happen. I don't like not knowing," she commented.

"I think I'll be okay, no matter what. Don't worry about it." She was still worried about it.

When we pulled up, you couldn't even tell anyone lived there, let alone had a party going on.