Chapter 1: A Different World

What if, Asuna and Kirito never became lovers...

Kirito opened his eyes. He looked around himself and took in his surroundings. He was in a familiar cabin situated in a forest where serenity and peace sprang forth. He sat in blue couch sprawled out taking up the whole space of the couch. His head rested on one of the blue pillows as his mind drifted into memories. Once before he had lived in the realm of death known as "Sword Art Online." There he had battled for the lives of thousands. He conquered the death game by defeating it's creator, Akihiko Kayaba.

After returning to the real world, Kirito learned that the horrors of SAO were not over

After returning to the real world, Kirito learned that the horrors of SAO were not over. A new game called "Alfheim Online" held within it his dear friend Asuna. No longer in fear of death, Kirito flew across the skies of Alfheim to liberate Asuna from the clutches of  Alfheim's creator,  Sugou Nobuyuki.

 No longer in fear of death, Kirito flew across the skies of Alfheim to liberate Asuna from the clutches of  Alfheim's creator,  Sugou Nobuyuki

It would seem at last peace had returned to the life of Kirito, and the survivors of SAO.

Kirito gazed at his right as he stretched it out. " A virtual world where anything could happen or could exist shouldn't be full of fear or death. It should be a world where people could enjoy what they couldn't do in the real world." Kirito had thought this to himself.  "What you do in the virtual world also affects you in the real world."

"If you want to kill, you can. If want to protect, you can. Always remember the side of you who you really are shows in a world without consequence." Kirito held close to those worlds. His mind shifted to blankness clutching at the words he had just thought.

A voice rang out: "Kirito, you nodding off?"

Kirito looked into the direction that the voice came from. There stood a blue Undine named Ansuna. Asuna is one of Kirito's closest friends from SAO. 

She was once a beginnner to the realm of VRMMOs and Kirito had taught her the basics

She was once a beginnner to the realm of VRMMOs and Kirito had taught her the basics. After defeating the first floor boss, Asuna would go on her own and would later became one of the best players in SAO and the second in command of the Knights of the Blood Oath. Upon crossing paths once again after such a time, Asuna had become much more rigid in personality. She cared only about beating the game and taking the situation that everyone was in more seriously. Kirito had attempted to show that the virtual world wasn't all that bad and that the virtual world had good in it. To Kirito's surprise she agreed but was still set-minded on beating the game. Over the course of a few months, the two would become close and develop a strong friendship. Then the fateful day came when the leader of The Knights of the Blood Oath was discovered to be Akihiko Kayaba. Kirito had challenged him to a duel and won. The players were released from the game... expect for a few including Asuna. Thus leading Kirito and his friends to Alfheim Online to rescue Asuna and the other SAO survivors who were taken by Sugou.

"Nah, just thinking." Kirito answered.

"About what?" Questioned Asuna.

"About our journey to here, being in ALO."

"I see" replied Asuna, "anyways, I wanted to tell you about some news I heard from Argo."

"Is it about a new quest? Perhaps a new area? OHHH, maybe a legendary super rare weapon!" Kirito said with such excitement.

"WOAH, calm down there Kirito, noting of the sort. Apparantly there's a competition going on in the PVP arena im the town of beginnings. A player by the name of Zekken is holding PVP matches in search of a player that could beat him. If a player beats him, its said that the player will be awarded something pretty cool although no one knows for sure."

"Seems pretty vague though don't you know?"

"Well, Zekken has had sixty matches so far, and hasn't lost one match."

"Wow, that's pretty insane." Replied Kirito,

"Interested?" Asked Asuna.

"Well, I guess I have to go see this Zekken for myself."

"Thought you might say that."

"I mean, this'll definitely put my title of "The Black Swordsman" on the line."

"Didn't think you cared about titles and such?"

"Well, I guess a strong player helps keep my skills in check." Replied Kirito, "I guess I"ll go be going now, see ya Asuna."