Chapter 9: Downfall

Kirito backed away slowly.

(Did that... just happen)? Thought Kirito.

Kirito looked up at Yuuki, she was just blushing and smiling.

"Where did that come from Yuuki?" Asked Kirito.

"I just wanted to thank you for all that you've done," replied Yuuki.

"Did you not like it?" Asked Yuuki looking a little sad.

"Its not that, it just took me by surprise," replied Kirito.

"So, you did like it?"

"... yeah," replied Kirito looking red.

"Oh, I'm glad!" Exclaimed Yuuki.

Kirito didn't know what to think: On the one hand Yuuki was a cute girl who smiled at every little thing in the world wanting to only smile and enjoy the world. But at the same time Yuuki was a mystery to Kirito, there was still so much to learn about her and her secrets. Perhaps that was what Kirito was looking for, someone unpredictable and fun to be around and have an amazing time learning who each other are.

It was certainly sounding like something Kirito wanted.

"Yuuki," said Kirito.

"What is it?" Asked Yuuki.

"What if I said, I..." started Kirito, having a hard time spitting it out.

"Yes." Yuuki said with a slight acknowledgement of what Kirito was trying to say.

"... I like you. Romantically," Said Kirito looking slightly red.

"I would say that I feel the same," replied Yuuki looking red as well, but still smiling.

Kirito looked.

Even though he didn't show it, he was overflowing with joy

"We're back!" Exclaimed a familiar voice.

Kirito and Yuuki looked back towards the door, in came Asuna followed by everyone else.

Asuna looked up at Kirito and Yuuki, seeing their faces blushing told everything to Asuna.

"I see you've been busy while we're gone," Joked Asuna.

"You could say that... HEY!" Panicked Kirito.

"Oh, I'm just joking Kirito."

"Yuuki," said worriedly Nori, "do you..."

Yuuki nodded.

"Kirito," began Nori.

Kirito looked over at the Sleeping Knights.

What were once faces of joy, had been replaced with despair.

"There's something we've kept from you," Nori Started, "we all have conditions. We're all stuck in some serious state that may likely end in our deaths."

Kirito's face dropped:

 "What?!" Kirito said shocked

"What?!" Kirito said shocked. Asuna looked the same.

"Yuuki..." Kirito turned to see her.

Her face was full of that same despair

Again her face shown that same contortion that Kirito hated seeing. It was even worse now.

"I'm sorry Kirito," said Yuuki in a pained expression, "I... love you."

Yuuki logged off from ALO.

Kirito stood there.

"..."

He felt this feeling, a feeling he had never felt before.

(I...) He thought, (I can't just stand here. I promise Yuuki. I will never leave you to face your demons alone. Because, I'll be there right by your side). (God, if your there, please, save Yuuki. She's too precious to me to see sad like that. So wipe away her tears and let me save her.)