Chapter 3: The Duel

The countdown clock began: 60 seconds till the duel began.

Both Kirito and Yuuki stood away from each as the clock counted in the center of them.

Kirito looked at Yuuki.

She was... smiling. Her crimson eyes stared directly into Kirito's eyes. He looked back into them.

(Her eyes are, nice) Thought Kirito, (...no)

Kirito shook his head, now was not the time to get distracted.

Kirito held his sword tight. He couldn't let himself get distracted and waver at a time like this. He looked up at the clock. Ten seconds left.

Kirito fell into his default stance and waited for the duel to begin.

Five seconds left

Yuuki had also fallen into a stance as well.

3

2

1

0...

Both rushed each other as soon as the clock ran to zero.

Kirito opened with a large horizontal swing to the left. Yuuki seeing this attack countered it with a vertical strike upward. Seeing this, Kirito was taken back but only for a moment and rushed to the left to strike Yuuki from the back. This time however, Kirito attempted the parry. As Kirito expected, Yuuki attempted to parry Kirito's strike. As soon Yuuki's blade approached Kirito's, Kirito spun to the right of the blade and lead his roll into a sword skill. Yuuki was taken back by the dodge and in her moment of daze got hit by the sword skill. Her HP dropped to 80%. 

Kirito stood breathing deeply. Yuuki was strong, much stronger then any other of the players he's dueled before. It was as if Yuuki was dueling naturally. All her movements were at ease and smooth. No wasted movement or unnecessary energy overexerted. It was as if she lived her whole life in ALO.

Yuuki recovered quickly and rushed Kirito with a sword skill of her own.

(Dang, She's fast), Kirito thought.

Kirito barely had enough time to counter Yuuki's attack then the two began exchanging blow for blow. Kirito would strike then Yuuki would counter it with her own strike.

Kirito eventually found an opening in the blade sequences to enter a multi-strike sword skill hoping to break Yuuki's guard. However, Yuuki didn't guard against it, she countered every strike of the sword skill with her own normal blade strikes!

(WHAT!) Kirito thought.

After the sword skill ended, Kirito saw a bright purple light glow from the smoke of the sword skill sword strike impact. Yuuki rushed out of the smoke leading with an unfamiliar sword skill. Kirito couldn't defend the sword skill as blow after blow depleted massive chunks of his life bar. After the sword skill ended Kirito was blown back quite a ways.

Yuuki took a deep breath, expecting the duel to be over. Smoke filled the area to where Kirito fell. She looked up and saw Kirito's blade above her.

Kirito, about to strike down upon Yuuki saw her face once again.

Her eyes once again made him forget everything else. The beauty this time was combined with fear.

He hesitated just before the blade struck her face.

One second passed and then the time ended. Resulting in Yuuki's victory.