Day 4

"The art of love is largely the art of persistence."

Natasha had been lucky enough to make it home in time the other day to get some sun, because getting some today was impossible. The rain was pouring down like it never had before. She hadn't seen a single soul on the street when she drove her car to work, so she expected a long and lonely day at the gallery.

"Maria, you don't have to come in today. The only costumer we'll have today will be me, drinking up all of the coffee." Natasha told Maria through the phone.

"Thank god. I was actually planning on calling in sick. I think I have a..." Maria sneezed and Natasha laughed.

"A cold, perhaps?"

"Yes, exactly." Maria said, chuckling a bit.

"Drink lots of tea and don't go outside. Call me if you need anything." Natasha said, smiling.

"Be careful, Natasha. They warned for a storm on the radio."

"I'll be reading all day. Don't worry. I hope you feel better soon."

"Thanks, Nat. I'll talk to you later."

Natasha hung up and sighed a bit. This would surely be a long, long day.

Natasha spent the early morning cleaning up in the gift shop and putting new books and art supplies on the shelfs. She then took a walk around the art gallery twice to see if all the paintings were sitting neatly on spot, which they all were. So she went back to the gift shop and put her hands on her hips. What was she supposed to do now?

The rain was smattering loud and clear against the window and the wind gave away a few screaming sounds now and then, making Natasha jump in fear, thinking there was someone that actually screamed.

Natasha sat on the counter in the gift shop with her legs swinging in the air, reading an awfully boring book as something caught the corner of her eye. She looked out of the window and a shocked expression got stuck on her face.

"You got to be kidding me.." She said.

Steve struggled with his umbrella outside of the gallery. The wind caught the black fabric and as hard as Steve tried to hold it, the umbrella broke completely.

Natasha chuckled and Steve went into the gallery. He was soaking wet, top to toe. Steve smiled as he saw Natasha who just shook her head.

"It's raining." Steve said.

"No kidding." Natasha smiled. "Did you walk here?"

Steve nodded. "There's nothing better than fresh air during a rainy day."

"You're unbelievable."

"Well, thank you."

Natasha jumped down off the counter and went to get a towel.

"I'd prefer to not have water all over my gallery." She said when she handed Steve the towel.

"Your gallery, huh?" He said, taking the towel and starting to dry his hair.

Natasha gave him a small nod. "Normal people don't visit an art gallery on a stormy day like this you know."

"Then I guess we have something in common."

Natasha smirked.

Suddenly, the lights in the entire art gallery went off and Steve and Natasha looked around surprised.

"Dammit." Natasha mumbled.

"It's the lightening."

"Yeah, I'm not its biggest fan." Natasha mumbled annoyed, walking over to the wall to try to turn on the lights again. All in vain, of course.

"I guess you get free coffee today too, since the register isn't working." Natasha said.

"I'm sure the lights will turn on soon enough." Steve said.

"You know, you chose a really good day to stalk me. No one could hear me screaming in this loud thunder."

"All stalkers don't kill."

"So you admit to being my stalker?"

Steve laughed.

"No."

Natasha handed him a cup of coffee.

"Thanks." He said, taking a sip.

They sat down on one of the benches and Natasha looked at him curiously.

"Are you from here?"

"From New York?"

"Yeah?"

"I grew up in Brooklyn." He said. "You?"

"Russia."

"Wow, really?" He asked surprised. Natasha nodded.

"Yeah. Why?"

"I just can't tell on your accent." He explained.

"Well, I moved here when I was 5."

"Ah, I see." He nodded a bit. "Any siblings?"

"Why? Are you gonna stalk them too?" She asked and Steve smiled.

"I'm just curious."

"Said every stalker ever." Natasha chuckled. "No siblings."

"Do your parents live here too?" He suddenly asked and Natasha's smile disappeared from her lips. She got lost in thought for a few seconds, making Steve realise he had just asked a sensitive question.

"How about you? Any siblings?" Natasha asked instead and Steve shook his head.

"I wish. I grew up with my friend Bucky though. He was, well he is, like a brother to me."

Natasha smiled. "That's nice. I never believed family has to be by blood anyway."

Steve nodded.

The two of them spent the rest of the day talking and simply enjoying each other's company during this stormy day. Natasha thought it was a bit odd how easy it was to talk to him. They had after all just met four days ago, but it felt like she had known him for months.

The lights did turn back on just as Steve as predicted.

"See?" Steve said as the lights came back on. "I told you I was a psychic."

Natasha smiled, wondering how this man had the power to make her smile so easily. Not many men managed that for sure.

The day soon came to its end and the rain had stopped pouring down over the art gallery. Natasha wished the day hadn't passed by so fast. She couldn't help but wanting to spend some more time with Steve in the gallery, just talking and getting to know him.

"I better head home. Those paintings doesn't paint themselves." He said and Natasha nodded.

"Do you want me to drive you? So you don't have to walk in the rain I mean." Natasha said, and Steve smiled at the offer.

"Thank you, but I don't want to be any trouble for you." He said and Natasha cursed in her head. Driving him home would definitely not have been any trouble for her. She'd gladly give him a ride home. "Besides, I think most of the rain stopped."

Natasha nodded.

"I guess I'll see you Monday." Steve said and Natasha shook her head.

"You know, just because you said you'd be back every day doesn't mean you actually have to come back here every day."

"I know, but I want to." He said, winking at her before walking out of the gallery.

Natasha caught herself smiling brightly, feeling her heart beat a little faster than usual. Damn, what was this guy doing to her?