CHAPTER 2

'Mr. Kapoor, I need updates on my desk tomorrow morning' I say to my secretary and cut the call, it's too late in the night and I need to hurry back home. My mother would be calling anytime now...

My phone rings, I look at it and smile widely, perfect timing I think as I see my mother's name on my mobile screen.

'Hello Ma' I say smiling, on hearing her voice I feel all my tiredness go away.

'Beta, where are you?' she says sounding concerned. My smile widens, even if I get five minutes late from work my mom gets super tensed. She has a mother's heart after all.

'I am at office, Ma. Just leaving' I say taking my coat from behind the chair rest

'You are still there...its 11.30pm...so late...beta I am worried...'

She goes on and I patiently listen to her as I enter into the elevator, I gave excuse of bad network and cut the call. I know she will call again soon.

As it is really late night it takes me only fifteen minutes to reach home, as I park my car in the parking lot my phone rings again. I have assigned a different ringtone for my mother's phone, receiving so many phone calls I need to manage every call. I didn't pick up the call as I hurry into the elevator. I pressed fifth floor in the elevator.

'Ma, I just reached' I informed my mom as I enter my apartment and kicked off my heels, my phone placed in between my ear and shoulder.

'I need to talk to you, it's important' my mother says, I throw my coat on my bed and sit at the edge of the bed massaging my heels.

'It's about your marriage'

I freeze hearing her words.

Marriage. As soon as a girl turns 18 the topic of her marriage pops up. I had always had given more importance to my career than marriage. My mother says now that I have achieved everything I had wanted, so its perfect time to marry. I think about my call with my mother as I sat in my hot bubble bath. I am 26, well settled in my career and have everything, but am I ready for marriage? From the outside if one sees then I look ready for marriage, but from inside? Am I ready to accept another man in my life...But why do I consider the man my parents have selected to be another man? Have I subconsciously still kept him as the first man in my life? But then he isn't really there in my life?

I lean back against my bathtub and close my eyes recollecting the day I first saw him...someone who till date has been etched in my heart.

*

I open my lunch box and smile widely, samosas. I love it when my mom gives me these, she saw me upset last night and to make me feel better she cook samosas for me. I tear the top of samosa and realized it is keema inside. Bonus! I lick my lips eyeing the samosas hungrily.

'Why are you eating this?' Gunjan asks as she takes out her sandwich

'Why not?' I reply stuffing my mouth with a delicious bite of my favorite lunch.

'It's so oily' Gunjan says. I sigh, she just killed my mood. I look at the samosa feeling guilty, but samosa is looking even more delicious now. I look at her

'You have said it now, don't say it again' I say and then turn my attention to the samosas, Gunjan shakes her head.

She is not the first one to point this obvious fact, I know I should care but I don't want to. I need a strong push to make me get up from my lazy bum and do something serious about my weight. Apparently all the mocking and taunting isn't enough for me. Somewhere I too am responsible for the mess I am in.