CHAPTER 10

I stepped out with Gunjan and other bride's maids, I held Gunjan by her arm and am leading her towards the altar. I look around my eyes scanning for Arham, then among the sea of people I see him. He is standing aloof from everyone and it makes my heart sink, I brought him here and I left him alone.

Gunjan's words echoed in my ears, I get more curious as I look at him. He was such a lively person back in school, did that incident affect him as much as it affected me? or worse? I wonder.

Gunjan is made to sit next to Abhimanyu, he is tall well-built man and Gunjan is short and thin, what a Jodi. I smile.

Adjusting end of my Pallu I climbed down the altar and made my way towards Arham.

'Sorry' I say looking at him with an apologetic expression on my face. He shakes his head slightly

'It's okay' he says politely.

I insisted him to come at the front so that we can get good view, at first he was reluctant and I had to hold his arm and literally drag him to the front. We stand there watching the ceremony, I must admit Gunjan is looking so beautiful, like an angel. I find my eyes getting moist seeing her smiling shyly. I tilt my head slightly and saw Arham standing next to me. I imagined how it would feel to be sitting all dressed up as Arham's bride, feeling the jitters, a mix of nervousness and excitement.

A tone tear escapes my eye 'Are you alright?' Arham asks looking at him. I nod quickly wiping my tear.

'You are Gunjan's friend' an old woman, Gunjan's Dadi, asked me. I nod. She then looks at Arham, who also smiles politely at Gunjan's Dadi. The old woman smiles at us widely making me feel uncomfortable

'You too make such a beautiful couple, are you both married?' she asks, I am shocked with her straight forwardness but I couldn't stop the blush that crept on my cheeks, I don't know why but I am delighted when referred to as Arham's wife.

'Aunty, we aren't married' Arham says and I look at him disappointed.

The old woman grins 'Then you should marry' she says nudging me, I felt embarrassed now and from Arham's expressions he looked embarrassed too.

I smile awkwardly, the old woman walks away.

'Oh shit!' I gasp as I felt the knot of my blouse open. I am standing at the first row right in front of the altar where the bride and the groom are taking their pheras. I turned red and quickly move my hand back. I had to wear backless blouse, now the knot is open but thanks to the hooks it in place else I would have had serious wardrobe malfunction. I slowly took my step back wanting to disappear from the crowd and into a secluded spot where I can tie my knot.

'Are you fine?' Arham says I simply nod and still holding my knot I walk backwards.

Damn! I had taken half an hour last time when I had tried tying the knot, I hate such dresses. It's been five-minutes and I am still trying to tie the knot.

'You need help' I jump out of my skin on hearing his voice, I turn around quickly and covered my back with the Pallu of my saree.

'I...I... woh...my knot' I stammer placing my fingers on the knot of my dress. Arham takes a step towards me and I gulp taking a step back

'May I?' he asks looking directly into my eyes.

I couldn't look away; I stare into his eyes letting my Pallu drop from my back. He moves his hand behind me coming close to me. I shiver feeling him so close, why can't he go behind me I tie the knot? Perhaps he doesn't want to look at my back, his gaze is fixed on my face.