CHAPTER 23

I was not in my senses after I heard the news of my father's heart attack. I kept sobbing and panicking. It is Arham who straight away booked my one-way ticket to Delhi. We didn't go to office; he was with me. Comforting me, consoling me.

My flight was in the evening, Arham comes with me to the airport

'As soon as you reach there, call or text me. And whenever possible keep me updated. After few days I will come there too.... okay...take care...' he says, I simply nod my head still in shock from the news.

Arham kissed my forehead and hugs me, but I didn't hug back. I am just too numb.

During my flight I kept looking out through the window wondering what is going to happen next. Will my father make it? Will things be normal again? Is my father's condition because of me?

I couldn't hold my tears, I wept silently. What if my father insists me to marry Aamir? I decided I will say yes, I decided then if my father wants me to marry Aamir. I will. I closed my eyes resting my head back. I didn't know where my future is going to head from here.

I come out from the airport and look around, I am relieved to see my brother come towards me.

'Bhai' I say and hug my brother, he hugs me back tightly. I and my brother were never like normal siblings, we didn't share love-hate relationship, we were always in hate relationship. He always taunted me and I had always annoyed him, we never shared our feelings or thoughts with each other. I but now we both are hugging each other and standing by each other in our tough time.

On the way home I quickly texted Arham that I reached safely.

When I reached home, I drop my baggage in my room and hurry to the hospital with my brother.

Reaching the hospital, I felt giddy with all the smell, I had never liked being in hospital. The atmosphere, the smell, the patients and blood always makes me feel uneasy. I followed my brother to the ICU ward. My mother is sitting there crying.

'Ma' I say softly; she looks up at me. My heart fell seeing my mother's dishevelled condition. She looked like a zombie, she had been crying her eyes out.

I rushed towards her, she stands. I hug her and I break down, she hugs me and begins to cry. Bhai comes and hugs us, we three stand there crying. In these tough times, a family only stands with each other, united. My father doesn't have any sibling and after my grandparents demise we are his only family. My Mama, my mother's elder brother, is in the US and will not be able to come so quickly.

I get a glass of water for my mother and sit beside her. I held her shoulder caressing her arms gently trying to calm her.

This morning Dad had suffered heart attack and was rushed to the hospital. He is unconscious now, in the afternoon he had gained consciousness but that was only for few minutes before losing his consciousness. He had called my name and wanted to meet me, my brother had said. I wonder if really I am the reason for his condition. I will never be able to forgive myself, if anything happens to my father because of me.

'Ma, how did this happen?' I ask softly.

My mother takes a deep breath and looks at me 'Today morning we got your parcel...we came to know about Aamir and his family. Then your father....' My mother breaks down unable to complete her sentence.

I didn't know what to say or except, I made my mother rest her head on my shoulder and wrap my arms around her. I felt her tears on my shoulder and found my own eyes filling with tears.

'How is your father?' Arham asked me. It's around 2am and I am at home with my mother. Hospital visiting hours were over and only one of us could stay. My mother is too tried to stay so I suggested that I will, but my brother ordered us to go home and take rest. I felt proud of my brother then, he is stepping into my father's shoes well and handling the situation like the man of the house.