One~

"Good evening young lady," I walk into a small café bright and early for my daily intake of coffee, maneuvering my way through tables, chairs, and old, familiar faces. I smile as I greet them, exchanging hellos and good mornings as if it were truly were my daily routine, and finally make it up to the bar like counter.

"Good evening, Marge. I'll take the usual if you wouldn't mind." I grant her a small smile and she sets right to task on my coffee. While I wait I dwindle on the newspapers on the corner of the counter, skimming over some new articles and then looking up to watch clips of the news.

"It looks like there will be a tad bit of rain t'day," the older woman answers from beyond the counter and I nod my head.

"Good thing I've got my umbrella with me. It's a handle little thing, isn't it?" I let out a sly chuckle and brush a stray curl away from my face, my fair skin splattered with a spray of freckles across my nose. She sounds of laughter too and it only makes me smile more.

"Ah, that it 'tis." The sound of metal on glass sounds a ringing but into the room of low and friendly voices, Marge walking to me with a freshly brewed glass of coffee. She hands it to me and I bring the rim to my nose as I inhale the sweet essence of it.

"Thank you, Marge." I say and slide over the exact amount the glass had cost. She takes it and moves down to the next person waiting to order. I move along to a seat nearest to the window, looking out at the darkening sky as small raindrops trickle down against the clear glass. I blow on the steamy liquid and sip at it.

"Good evening Rose, may I dine with you this drizzly evening?" I look up to Dennis, a dear friend and lover of mine as I nod my head, granting him his requested preposition. He takes the seat across from me and sighs deeply, relaxing as he too, stares out the sprinkled window. "I hope you're not planning to tend to the roses today, Miss Heather. I wouldn't mind you catching a cold." I scoff and look at him gently.

"With all due respect, I insist to tend to the roses as all roses need tending to." He smiles and leans over to graze a finger over my hand. I shiver and the soft touch.

"As do you, and your health shouldn't need to be tended to if you'd be a dear and come home with me. We could sit by the fire and you could tell me another adventure if you'd like." I laugh sweetly and sip again at the glass.

"I assure you that I'll be fine. You can even adjourn with me to the roses to see so for yourself. I don't mean to turn down such a warming offer, but I live for those roses and love them dearly as if they were roses of my own."

"Oh, but Rosie, you soon will have a rose bush of your own. I promise you as much as that if you'd just stay with me." I freeze and look to him, my brow drawing in with questions of uncertainty.

"You know I must go. It 'tis only my dream to travel the world and I tend to achieve it." I became stern and it shocked even me, a hand of mine covering over my now hushed lips.

"Dearest Rose, I do not wish to ask you of such great things, but I do wish you'd stay. I do love you and can grant you a rose bush or anything else you could wish for, I could give you it all-"

"Love is not about money and so I wish nothing of the matter." I say and sit up straighter, tensing.

"Rose, that's not what I meant either. If you'd just listen to me-"

"I've heard enough and I do wish to stop talking of this. If you wouldn't mind, I'd greatly enjoy so. It's not that I'm upset, it's just that it makes a woman feel as if she has no power of herself and power is what drives me from land to land and across all seas sailed. I've yet one more place to go and you know fairly well I must go."

"But I cannot go with you." He says in defeat. He pulls his hand back and clears his throat.

"Then you must have a little faith in me in coming back. Of course it will take quite some time, I do have strong intentions of coming back around. Maybe then you can manage a break to come with me." It wasn't a question, but he needed to know that neither was it a question of me coming back. My intentions were pure.

"My Bella, my Rose, I'm sorry for such stress made. If you'd allow me to take your arm, it'd be an honor to walk with you through the roses you'd prefer tending to." I smile now, and sip at my coffee once more before he slides from his seat and lends me his hand, helping me up as I brush off my skirts. He then takes my arm through his and we make way to the door, my umbrella opening as we exit through the rain.

-

"Rose, don't prick your finger again, might I remind you," Dennis says as we make way through the garden maze. Roses bloomed around us as I walked in awe.

"You always remind me even once I'm not near enough to even touch the petal of a singular rose that is." He chuckles and I can't help but let a small fit of laughter myself.

"That is because I am concerned for your safety." I smile gracefully as my face warms, gingerly looking away as it does so.

"And I appreciate as much from you." I respond as we stop before a trimmed bush. It was carved into a couples figure, my favorite statue of many. Dennis turns me to face him, holding umbrella before my head and smiles.

"It has been a great walk this evening, but it seems the rain only grows more dense as we walk on. May we now return home, madam?" I nod and we begin our way back arm in arm.

Once inside he shuts the soaking umbrella and undresses me of my coat, hanging it up on the coat rack before I hand to him my dressy hat that ties under my chin with a blue lacy ribbon. He puts that on the rack as well.

"If you'd like me to, I'd love to start a fire for you. Wouldn't want my Rose to freeze because of an unkindly young gentleman." I smile as he leaves to start the fire, embers soon popping with heat as I follow after him to the small fireplace he owns.

"That was very kind of you." I say thankfully. He smiles and takes my hand as he seats me. Together we spend the night staring into the flames until it is night no more...