Chapter 7: Twisted promises

Budo walks home afterschool with Sho, barely saying a word. He still couldn't process what Ayano had asked him to do earlier at lunch. Yes, he had promised to accept Ayano for who she is. And yes, he also promised to help and support Ayano through everything.

Budo still couldn't get the image out of his head. His sweet, precious Ayano, leaning on his shoulder, repeating the promises he'd made to her, as if they were a spell, an unbreakable pact.

Budo remembers the devious face she had made, and the cheeky grin tug at the corners of her mouth. The way she leaned even closer on Budo, making him blush beneath her touch.

The words that so innocently slipped out of her scarlet mouth that Budo almost missed, the way she intently looked into his widened eyes as she briefly explained her request to Budo.

"Budo-san, I've arranged to meet up with Kokona-chan tomorrow, who you will meet up with. All I want it's for is to get rid off her. I don't care how, as long as she's dead. Perhaps it'll put your martial arts skills to some good use."

Budo hadn't said a word as Ayano laughs at her own pathetic joke, and gives him a quick hug, then walks off, leaving Budo alone and speechless on the roof top.

Budo didn't know what to say. He hadn't asked any questions. He felt shocked, confused, and betrayed by his own twisted promises that had come back to haunt him.

This wasn't the girl he knew, this wasn't Ayano. The Ayano he knew wore petals in her beautiful hair and carried herself elegantly, with her beautiful eyes like pools, always on Budo.
.
.
.
Budo sighs as he drags his feet along the bumpy pavement, considering his thoughts. Yes, he'd promised to accept Ayano for whoever she is, and if this is the true Ayano, he'd accept her.

After all, Budo still loves the girl, and he is a man to his word.

If Ayano wants his help, he would give it to her, no questions asked.
.
.
.
"What's up with you, Budo-san?" Sho questions Budo as they walk together, trying to make direct eye contact with him. Budo stares ahead, looking aimlessly at the street ahead at them. Where could Ayano be right now?

Budo opens his mouth, as if he wants to say something but he couldn't, and shuts it again, looking down. He chuckles.

"It's not funny, Budo. I'm serious." Sho orders, concerned. "Your acting really strange. Quiet, jumpy. It's not you."

Budo remains quiet.

"Your usually so collected, so organised and confident and strong."
Sho carries on "But now... You aren't like that, especially today. It's like your love sick..." Sho looks at Budo.

"It's that girl, isn't it?" Sho asks quietly.

Budo's sagging arms suddenly cross over his chest, more defensive than usual. He stops, trying to calm down. He doesn't want to shout at his friend, all he is doing is trying to help.

"I... don't know." Budo murmurs finally. "Perhaps I'm just tired?"

Sho knows that isn't the case, but didn't want to pressure Budo any further. "Alright." Sho says helplessly, giving up.
.
.
.
Budo slumps onto his bed, sighing. He didn't know what to do. The right thing would be to talk things through with Ayano, question her and help her like a good, supportive boyfriend. He should have done that- instead of acting so speechless, so stupid, so weak.

'Wait, I am Ayano's boyfriend, right? She did accept my feelings. But does she even love me like I love her? Does she even like me at all?
What if she's just using me, pretending to like me so that I can carry out such awful deeds for her?'

Dark thoughts whisper and race through Budo's complicated mind. The last thought stuck with him for a while. Perhaps it's true that Ayano doesn't like Budo, she's just using him to kill Kokona.

If that's true, Budo wouldn't be able to set free his feelings. He would still love Ayano deeply, regardless of whether she loves him or not.

Even if it would cause his honest heart to painfully break, even if it meant that he would have to suffer from one- sided, unrequited love.

He'd still love Ayano, his precious cherry blossom love...

Suddenly, Budo's phone starts to ring, echoing the dark room. His trophies glint from the light of his ringing cellphone. Slowly and tiredly, Budo sighs and gets up, padding across the room to retrieve his phone.

Usually, Budo is energetic and outgoing, in his spare time he works out or lifts weights in the corner of his room, or goes through his previous Katas. But today, with his head filled with worries and confusion, he doesn't feel like it. It is so unlike him.

"Hello?" Budo mumbles sleepily with the phone pressed against his ear, rubbing his eyes. His dark hair is messy and swept to one side after sleeping, it looks cute.

"Is that you, Budo-san?" Ayano laughs sweetly on the phone, lighting up Budo's happiness once more. "You seem tired, did I wake you?"

Budo clears his throat, trying to sound like his usual, manly self: outgoing, confident and strong.

"No, no- I'm fine. I wasn't sleeping or anything." Budo quickly lies. As soon as he got home from school, he immediately slumped on the sofa, exhausted after a hard day, to take a nap.

Only recently did he wake to to go to his bedroom after his mother, surprised to see her usually energetic son lying on the sofa, chased him away to ready.

"I'm glad to hear that." Ayano laughs again. Her gentle voice fills Budo up with warmth and ease. Ayano's voice is gentle and kind like a warm sunshine, but direct as well. Budo loves her voice, it is like a beautiful song to him.

"So, are you busy?" Ayano asks him. "I mean, we could go out later, if your not busy..." her voice trails off, awaiting response.

Excitement flutters in Budo's stomac like a blutterfly. He has suddenly lost all memory of the haunting thoughts he'd had before, the creepy, violent task that Ayano had asked him to carry out. For now, he'd forgotten this.

He knew Ayano had feelings for him.

"Sure, I'd love too." Budo responds cooly. "Meet me in about 30?"

"It's a date." Ayano says smugly, then hangs up.

Budo dashes downstairs to share the excitement with his parents. Halfway down the steps, Budo freezes. He needed to get ready! Budo quickly dashes into the bathroom to shower.
.
.
.
Ayano towel drys her long, dark grey hair, her dark grey, almond shaped eyes blink back at her in the mirror. Ayano is excited to go out with Budo, it's just a bit of fun.

Ayano's phone beeps with a message.

'Quit messing around with Masuta-kun. He's not your new Senpai, is he? Stay focused or I'll expose your secret~ Info-chan'

Ayano sighs at the pathetic message.

'My feelings towards Senpai is true, of course. Budo-san is... Just a friend.'

With a nervous smile, Ayano turns her wardrobe to get ready for her date.

Yaaay some Ayando for you all ;-)
And the next part will be out tomorrow with the Ayando date X
Maybe give this a vote if you enjoyed? Thank you guys so much :)