Chapter 9: The Amari restaurant

A warm sensation fills Ayano inside and out after Budo pulls away from her. This feeling is indescribable, and it's so much more than spying on Senpai.

The feeling leaves her bubbly, and as she smiles at Budo, she realises that she has never felt this way before.

Is this... True happiness?

'No! Senpai is the only true source of your happiness, not this... Pathetic fool!' A persistent voice urges Ayano.

She ignores the voice like it is an annoying fly, and leans against Budo a little, resting her head on his broad shoulder as they spoke.

The waitor, Budo's friend, Shinji, waltzes over to their table, running a hand through his turquoise hair. He winks at Budo with his light blue eyes, and bows at the two.

As they take their orders and wait for the food to arrive, the Amari family is busy, behind the counter and in the kitchen.

"They are so cute!" Sanae swoons as she watches the two together, and her twin brother Shinji agrees as he wipes down the counter table, his bright turquoise eyes twinkling. "They are." He echoes. Their older brother, Chiaki, nods in agreement after serving a customer a drink behind the bar, his eyes fixed on the pretty girl with dark grey hair, sat next to Budo.

Jiro and Hikaru walk past behind them towards the kitchen, and pick up on the twins' conversation. "Budo is all grown up now." They laugh among themselves.

In the kitchen, Chiyo is busy supervising, as she is the manager of the kitchen, and she notices her brothers laughing as they get ready to cook. Gossip goes around about Budo and his "new girlfriend" through all the staff.

Only Takumi, the 17 year old and youngest son of the Amari family, remains silent behind the bar, amongst Chiaki and the twins, his blood-red pupils glinting as he intensely watches Budo and the familiar girl.

The very familiar girl...

"Hey, Takumi! Another order to table 17!" Jiro's voice rings from the kitchen.

The red-headed guy turns to the kitchen and brings the plate of food over to Budo and Ayano's table. Budo looks up to smile at the familiar person, who he had not seen for a while.

"Hey, Takumi!" Budo greets his friend, and quickly introduces him to Ayano. Tamaki's unamused face suddenly changes, and his crimson eyes snatch on to Ayano. She looks away, slightly creeped out and distraught by his behaviour.

"So, I've not seen you around school for a while, Takumi." Budo goes on, and Ayano's dark eyes suddenly widen and spark, sensing realisation and slight horror. So this guy, Budo's acquaintance, goes to her school. So what if he knows something about Ayano?

Like her true nature...

From behind the bar, Chiaki had been watching his brother's strange behaviour, and he quickly dashes in to save Ayano, the damsel in distress.

"Is the couple ready to have dessert?"
Chiaki asks, smiling sweetly and ushering his younger brother away. Seeing that Budo is paying the bill for both of them, Ayano didn't want to cause him any distress with the bill. So, she insists no.

The attractive guy smiles and holds up his hands, his brown, almond-shaped eyes snagging onto Ayano's, making her heart beat. "Dessert will be on the house," Chiaki cooes reassuringly "For Budo-kun and his gorgeous date."

Budo smiles gratefully at Chiaki, failing to notice the flirtiness in his voice towards Ayano, and smiles gratefully at the older guy.

'The Amari family are always so nice.' Budo thinks to himself.

Chiaki nods and smiles at Budo, taking away their empty plates, and secretly winks at Ayano with his hazel-brown eyes, before scooting away to the kitchen, smirking as he dumps the dishes in the sink.

Ayano watches him go, his pale-blonde hair bouncing as he laughs to himself. He is a nice guy, and pretty good looking, but there is something strange about him that Ayano couldn't put her finger on.

"Budo-san, how old is that waiter?" Ayano asks the dark haired guy, perplexed.

"You mean Chiaki-san? He's around 26."

'26! That was the strange thing about him. I'm only 17! That filthy guy, laughing to himself at his own joke, I wish I could slap him and drag him to my basement and-'

"But he's a decent guy, though. Just a little devilish under that charming face." Budo cuts Ayano off her secret, evil thoughts.

"Why do you ask?" Budo questions the girl.

Ayano knew that if she told Budo what irritating joke he'd played on her, it probably wouldn't end well, so she kept quiet.

"No reason. Oh look, the dessert is here!"
.
.
.
Ayano and Budo walk underneath the bright, beautiful moon, feeling the cold night air hit them like daggers. The pair had decided not to go home yet, and instead walk around for a while, but it seems like a bad choice.

"The moon is p-pretty." Ayano chokes out between shivers, not wanting to complain how cold she is.

Budo stops walking, and looks at her strangely, seeing his reflection against her eyes. "Are you cold, Ayano?" He ponders.

"Well, aren't you?" Ayano replies to him wryly, which makes Budo laugh.

"I was before, but it's not that bad now. Kind of refreshing, I suppose? But then again," He goes on "I do go for jogs sometimes at night, so I guess I'm used to it." Budo turns to the shivering girl, who is intrigued by his story.

"Here." Is all he says, wrapping his muscular arm around Ayano, bringing her close. The two blush a little.

Slowly, the warm, satisfying feeling overwhelms Ayano once more, and no longer is she freezing anymore. Instead, she is filled with warmth and happiness, leaning against Budo's strong frame.

They start walking again slowly, enjoying each others presence and warmth.

"I usually exercise in the daytime. You know, weight training and stuff." Ayano murmurs softly in evening night, breaking the silence. This takes Budo by surprise, he didn't know that Ayano, a small slim girl, worked out. Especially not lifting weights.

'It doesn't seem like she needs too, she is so small and slight.' Budo wonders to himself.

Little did he know that Ayano, being a yandere, needs to carry a lot of dead bodies around, which requires a lot of strength and muscle...

"Oh... I don't mean heavy bench presses, not that there's anything wrong with that. I use light weights." Ayano laughs sadly, instantly regretting what she had mentioned as she awaited Budo's response. She expects him to laugh at her, or not believe her at all, maybe even taunt or mock her.

For once, Ayano felt vulnerable compared to Budo-san: A black-belt in Martial Arts, super strong and... A guy. Despite the fact that Ayano had killed two people, she suddenly felt unsafe.

"Really? That's pretty cool, Ayano-chan." Budo exclaims, interest can be heard in his gentle but firm voice. "You should come down to the Martial Arts Club sometime." He blushes a little at this.

The dark haired girl relaxed a little at his response, and they walked on together. She finally felt that she could trust Budo fully, and felt safe around him- which is a rare thing for Ayano, as she grew up mostly alone.

She enjoys his presence, his special scent of aftershave and dew, and his strong arms open for hugs, open just for her.

For once, as Ayano goes to sleep, she dreams about a guy named Budo Masuta, with dark grey hair and eyes, just like her. They would hold hands under the cherry blossom tree, and she'd lean on his broad shoulder, protected from anything that came in her way.

Ayano smiles, happy to have this boy all to herself, finally understanding the feeling she had felt before.

Love.

What would she do to keep it that way?