76 | Distance

╔══════════════════╗

INDIANA JONES
lxxvi. DISTANCE

╚══════════════════╝

PRESENT
UNDERWORLD

FOR THE NEXT COUPLE of days that followed, Indiana Jones found that distance was her best and worst accomplice. Things between her and Peter had become awkward faster than Indiana died... Too soon?

With a tight grip, Indiana carefully held the handle of her mug as she took a long sip of her warm beverage. She squeezed her eyes shut as Peter's words echoed in the back of her mind. After Liam had peacefully crossed over to the other side and the gang went back to attempting to discover Hades' weaknesses, Indiana and Peter had a talk.

"What do you mean you don't wish to be brought back to life, Indie?" Peter had said, his voice rising so quickly that it nearly scared Indiana.

Indiana snorted. "You're acting like you didn't know this! Did you even hear the words 'I'd like to be brought back' come out of my mouth?"

"We went out of our way to come down here—"

"To save my idiot of a brother!"

"How in the realms was I supposed to know you were down here? You! You're the last person I would have thought to have unfinished business!"

That was enough to have made Indiana burst out with laughter. "Do you know who the hell you're talking to, Peter? I'm Indiana fucking Jones! My whole life is composed of unfinished business! It took me almost 200 years just to find out I even had another brother!"

"Indie—"

"Peter, I don't want to hear it. I've been down here for 3 years. You've been coping, and eventually, you'll forget all about me. You all will," Indiana had interrupted for a second time. She scoffed. "You should know better than to try and bring me back."

"You're the one telling us all to have hope, Indie! Maybe if you just listened to me, we could bring you back, and—"

"And what, Peter? It's been years. If you brought me back, I would be nothing but a half-decomposed body. Is that really what you want to spend your Happily Ever After with?"

With the shake of her head, Indiana pulled herself away from her cloud of thoughts. Ever since their little debacle, Indiana had chosen to stay away from Peter, from the entire gang as a matter of fact. James was right after all this time. Indiana needed to move on, and she wouldn't be able to do this if she kept clinging to her past. Now, Indiana realized this.